FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add power door locks to my car. From everything that I have read all I need is the wiring, actuators, and relays. Anything else? (My car is a '96 2-door btw.) Plug and play right, unless I read completly wrong? Is it possible that I already have the actuators? I thought I saw something in one of the doors when putting in my speakers.

If anybody has a set pm me.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
afaik they don't have the actuators. mine didn't.
as for the wiring, i can't remember whether there was any unused wiring or harnesses in the door, but i don't think so.
i used to see aftermarket universal kits and i think that's an easier way to go for your application, but i don't know if you can still get them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Are you sure your car isn't one of the ones that came with keyless entry and no power door locks?

You would also need the switches.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the wiring to plug to the actuators without the actuators. I didn't think the second gens had door lock switches, I thought it was all controlled from unlocking or locking the drivers side door.
pextor said:
there is no "lock" button, the power locks work off the thing on the top of the door panel. when you pull that up (either with your hand, or by unlocking the drivers door) all the rest of the doors unlock as well. the only other button on the window switch assembly is a window lockout button, that says power on/off.

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
Are you sure your car isn't one of the ones that came with keyless entry and no power door locks?

You would also need the switches.
his car is a 2nd gen, no keyless entry and no switches for power door locks.

white-lightning said:
I have the wiring to plug to the actuators without the actuators. I didn't think the second gens had door lock switches, I thought it was all controlled from unlocking or locking the drivers side door.
pextor said:
there is no "lock" button, the power locks work off the thing on the top of the door panel. when you pull that up (either with your hand, or by unlocking the drivers door) all the rest of the doors unlock as well. the only other button on the window switch assembly is a window lockout button, that says power on/off.
I've been quoted!

you will need to find the door wiring harness with power door locks for both doors, the actuator, and the rod to connect it to the mechanism. you may need the entire mechanism, depending on where the door lock "switch" is. the switch is what tells the other door to unlock when the drivers door is unlocked.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Pextor is the MAN when it comes to this sort of info. He has definitely done his research!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pextor my car has the wiring for the locks, I noticed when installing my speakers, and the ebay items I found have the rods pictured on the mechanisms. I found the relay on ebay too, but where does it go? I haven't looked, but I assume it is near the under-dash fuse box right?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
On my 97 the door lock relay is behind the passenger side kick panel, not sure if its the same on the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I went through this not too long ago with my car.
You will need the switch that is located on the latch mechinism in the driver's door, the relay, and the actuator for the pass. door.
The switch is held on with one screw, and the relay is on a bracket under the dash behind the fuse panel. I think there are four other relays on the bracket. On mine the only empty spot was for the door lock relay. The actuator is bolted to the pass. door in the corner below the latch.
The only extra rod you will need is the one on the actuator. There is an open hole next the lock rod on the latch mechinism for it. Make sure that rod has the plastic clip with it. I didn't save the one from the donor car, and learned the hard way the generic clips at the parts store won't fit.
FWIW, everything can come from a 4-door as well. Just make sure the actuator is from the frt. door. (Ford lists the same part # for all models in the service manual.)
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think it would be easier like MadBrad said and get a universal kit. I recently purchased a keyless entry kit from the ebay seller I posted the link to and it was $43 shipped to my door. The guy is super helpful, so if you are unsure what to get just ask him what else you need for your application. When you buy something from him, you just put in the comment box with your paypal payment what your car is and he will give you specific wiring diagrams for it that you need for the install, just like crutchfield. I had to add an actuator to my order to make the keyless entry work even though I do have power locks. I am guessing you will need 1 more then me and the keyless entry would work on your car as well, but I would ask the seller to make sure. He charged me an additional $5 (normally $7) for the actuator on top of the $43. I have not installed it yet since I am still on vacation, so i cant speak on the install, but I used to have an alarm that had keyless and it was basically the same setup as this is except the alarm part, and it was an easy job, so I anticipate this will be a walk in the park. :)
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/CarAlar...bZ5QQ_sidZ22078045QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
300ZXRB26DETT said:
I think it would be easier like MadBrad said and get a universal kit. I recently purchased a keyless entry kit from the ebay seller I posted the link to and it was $43 shipped to my door. The guy is super helpful, so if you are unsure what to get just ask him what else you need for your application. When you buy something from him, you just put in the comment box with your paypal payment what your car is and he will give you specific wiring diagrams for it that you need for the install, just like crutchfield. I had to add an actuator to my order to make the keyless entry work even though I do have power locks. I am guessing you will need 1 more then me and the keyless entry would work on your car as well, but I would ask the seller to make sure. He charged me an additional $5 (normally $7) for the actuator on top of the $43. I have not installed it yet since I am still on vacation, so i cant speak on the install, but I used to have an alarm that had keyless and it was basically the same setup as this is except the alarm part, and it was an easy job, so I anticipate this will be a walk in the park. :)
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/CarAlar...bZ5QQ_sidZ22078045QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
That's not waht I was talking about. It looks like you are referring to RKE kits. That's easy to get at Walmart, but the car need to have power locks for that to work.
I was talking about aftermarket universal power lock systems, which I had been considering in the mid 80s while they were plentiful in stores. There was barely such a thing as RKE then.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I order the ones off of ebay. I got the door lock relay today and the driver side switch assembly and passenger side actuator assembly are on their way. I located where the relay goes and plan on putting it in tomorrow and I'll install the other parts when they come in.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Actually madbrad those are universal kits that I linked to on ebay. My kit is just a "brain" with a receiver for the remotes and a universal door actuator/rods that you wire to up the the brain using the supplied wiring harness. Its basically like an alarm without the alarm part. The only thing that makes it custom is the fact that the seller provides you a wiring diagram so you know what wires to get power and ground from, or if you want parking light flash or horn honk output for it. This thing would work in lighnings car the same as mine with another actuator for his passenger side door for sure. This kit does not require the car to have power locks for it to work.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
white-lightning said:
Why that elephant never runs out of **** and the bag never fills confuses me. :lol:
If you concentrate and really look for it, the poops can go back up into the elephant, thereby emptying the bag.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts