FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
powder coat is a baked paint(i.e. paint the item then baked it)...(thats what i know though...i might be wrong)......and convensional paint may peel or sometimes flake off or burn due to heat from the brakes......

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
In a nutshell, power coating is a powder that clings to the metal (much like static cling). Then the metal is baked, where the paint melts and flows, forming a durable, smooth surface.

You can do it at home, but you need a couple special items, namely an electrostatic spray gun, an air compressor, and a spare electric oven. You probably also want a sand blaster to clean the caliper surface.

A friend of mine had his paintball gun powdercoated before. It's pretty good looking (but doesn't look as good as anodized aluminum), but it also much more durable than annodized aluminum.

I dunno what rims you have, but if you strip them down, you can probably powder coat them. There are also some guys in the paintball domain who do powder coating on the side and can help you out. It isn't too expensive, it just takes a while. The guy who did my friend's gun went by the alias of SiN and lived in ontario or something.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
i just had my '93 GT rims powdercoated. they're friggin' sweet now. they look so new you can practically eat off them (but i don't know why you would). but there was a definite improvement compared to how they were prior.

but places base their pricing on rims by their size, and sometimes on how much you've prepped them (ie sand them down), or what color preference, or how many different colors you want.

sure it'd be a nice d.i.y. project, but i'd rather have the professionals handle that kinda thing.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
DeathSlinger00 said:
i just had my '93 GT rims powdercoated. they're friggin' sweet now. they look so new you can practically eat off them (but i don't know why you would). but there was a definite improvement compared to how they were prior.

but places base their pricing on rims by their size, and sometimes on how much you've prepped them (ie sand them down), or what color preference, or how many different colors you want.

sure it'd be a nice d.i.y. project, but i'd rather have the professionals handle that kinda thing.
8O HOLY SHIT MAN!!!!!!!! 8O MY GOD those hare GORGEOUS!!! lol

Good job and thanks for taken em off my hands :D

and just for reference, here's what one of them looked like when I sold them to him.

http://www.hondaswap.com/gallery/images/s40da744786485.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
no, thank you. you have no idea how hard it is to find any GT rims anywhere! (well, that aren't on a car already)

why else do you think i drove all the way to indiana for them?
..i saw a chance, and i went for it.

heh, :oops: but they have gona a long way, haven't they?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
damn you got around to fixin them up pretty quickly too...I've had them for about 6 months or so and never got around to powdercoating them.

Those are going to look pimp on your car. What kind of tires are you gonna go with?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
not sure. depending on whether or not i can sell my old rims, these may or may not be my year-round rims.

they're gonna have to be kinda lo-pro, because i don't wanna tweak the speedo for bigger tires. (that and the car's lowered finally).

any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
If you get proportionate tires the speedo should be fine. I'd get some 195/55-15s. Something along the lines of Kumho MXs or Falken Azenis... Falkens are better tires all around, but aren't as good in wet weather as the MXs.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
(not to sound wet behind the ears, but i haven't been much of a tire person before) are these the kinda tires i'd have to go online for, or some that i can walk into any tire shop and ask for?

oddly though, i was considering falkeins. but wasn't sure about their price range.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
looks like im going tire-brand-hunting tomorrow.

..i can't wait to get those bad boys on.
i think actually, they're going to make the car itself look bad in comparisson.
..looks like im also gonna hit the ding king while im out.... christ!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
for me it was $50 for each rim with the works.

i handed over the rims in their primary condition, unsanded, unprimered. and he took care of everything for $50 a rim.

different places are different about prices and the amount of preparation put forth. it's important to shop around or just know somebody in the business. (unless you can do it yourself, than that's okay too 8) ).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.