FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a ZX2 with around 120,000 miles on it that needed work. It runs great HOWEVER from day 1 since I owned it there has been an engine knock.

I assumed that the knock was from a cold engine on start up and was coming from the solid camshaft lifters. It goes away once the revs go up. While looking for an exhause leak under the car, it sounded like it was coming from the bottom end, but hard to pinpoint where it was coming from. Again, once the rpm's went up, the noise was gone.

Are these symtoms of a bad con rod? If so, can I drop the oil pan and change the big end bearing?

Thanks

Canflyboy

· Registered
1 Posts
Could be a cracked flex plate. My ZX2 started making the same noise at about 125,000 miles. Sounded like rod knock coming from the bottom of the engine. But it would completely go away above 1200 rpm. Noise would change also with slight load -- like puting the trans from neutral into drive. I pulled the trans and checked the flex plate. It had multiple cracks. This is not uncommon on the ZX2.

· Registered
966 Posts
could also be a wrist pin starting to make some noise with low oil presure and once you rev it, it builds up enough psi to quite it down. change your oil with one grade higher, if your using 5w30 try 10w30

· Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
is it a 99 or 2000? could be crank walk. pull the crank sensor and inspect it for damage, thats the first indication of crank walk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.