FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 EGT and it seems like the headlights only cover a very small portion of the road and it isn't a solid beam. Is that how it's supposed to be? My high-beams are lower than a lot of other people's regular lights.

Also, if I'm going to replace the bulbs, what do I need to look for? Is there a specific size or wattage?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
160 Posts
headlamps are designed to emit light in a specific pattern so that you get more light on the ground and less light in the air over oncoming lanes.

Park the car on a flat surface near a wall or garage door. Measure the distance between the CENTER of the headlamps, the distance from the ground to the CENTER of each lamp and the centerline of the vehicle (as if you had a line drawn down the middle of your hood.
Use masking tape or whatever you have and place marks on the wall that mirror the measurements you just took. i.e.

---+--- + ----+----

You should have marks on the wall exactly the same measurements apart as the distances on the car. One mark for each headlight center and one mark for the vehicle center. The vehicle center doesnt have to be the same height, its just so you know that the car is parked facing the wall in the right spot.

Once you have the marks on the wall, back the car up so that the face of the headlamps is 25FT from the wall, and that the center of the vehicle is still lined up with the vehicle center mark on the wall. You want the car to be perfectly perpendicular to the wall.

Use the lowbeams only for aiming, as the highbeams automatically adjust their position when on.
The "Hot Spot", or brightest portion of light, of each light should be about 2.5" to 3.5" LOWER than the center mark of each headlight you put on the wall AND centered just to the right of the headlight center mark on the wall. Adjust each headlight using the adjusting screws untill the bright spots of each beam fall about 2.5" to 3.5" below and to the right of each center mark on the wall. That should put the headlights right close to US spec for aim (Which is actually 2.1" below center, but most people prefer between 2.5" to 4" below and to the right of center)

If the lights are aimed right, a stock replacement bulb should be sufficient, but you can deffinitely find some nice bright ones out there. I think the ones Im using now are roughly 65 WATT low beam and somewhere near 100 WATT on high. Ive also used some that were around 85 WATTs on low and over 100 on high. Those really made the difference, but I didnt think the funny blue glow really made driving in rain or fog easier, in facit, it was worse. The bright blue and white light is of a wavelength that is reflected more easily than a yellower color. That is why fog lights are yellow....The wavelength of the light passes through fog and rain with less reflection while still being of sufficient color to see properly than most other colors. For the headlamps though, you may be happier just finding the brightest darn bulbs you can buy. The SilverStars are supposed to be pretty damned nice from what I hear, but they can be pricey too at about 40 bucks a pair.
Good luck with your lights!

·
Registered
822 Posts
i have a 1994 EGT, and i found that i had the same problem with the brightness of my headlights, and finally came to the conclusion that they just weren't cutting it.... even my high beams didn't match the lowbeams of other people's cars..... so i got a new set, for $18, they are GE, the part number i believe is 9004, but they are cool blue lights..... they do not even appear blue when i turn them on, they are just pure white, and brighter than what i had before. if you want to get a GREAT set, they come at a price, of the $40 which somebody said already, the Silverstars.... they are the brightest i've seen. my cousin's dad has them on his f-350, and i feel bad for the poor sucker in a compact car that he pulls up behind at a stoplight. and on the color, they are about as white as the GE bulbs i just got. the ones i saw on the f-350 are ALOT brighter... so, idk

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Cool Blues are rated at 3500 Kelvin color temperature. The SilverStars are a 4000 Kelvin color temperature bulb. The actual color of the light may not be discernable to the naked eye, but the difference is noticeable in reflected colors and the detail of objects passing through the light beam. Theoretically. The price difference will make your mind up for you, most likely. The Cool Blues also have a longer life expectancy, according to Sylvania.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thorough response Jim, I am going to give that a try. The bulbs that I currently have in there are Toucan Eurolite's. Are these Silverstars really all that they're cracked up to be?

·
Registered
410 Posts
What do your headlights look like? Are they yellowish? Are they cloudy? If they are, you can try polishing them with a plastic polish or just replace them. You can get a set on eBay for about $90.00. (both left and right) IMO, it is worth the money.

I have Silverstars in my Explorer Sport Trac. They make a tremendous difference. I tested them at work with a light meter. I gained about 13 foot candles of light at 17' witht the Silverstars.

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought some off eBay a couple years back from a place in Taiwan. They came in a box with newspaper from the country. Pretty cool really. Well anyway they have been the best ones i've seen that weren't HID. Just cool blue, but they shined super white. And of course pointed them really high, and it was almost as good as those substitute suns the highway construction workers use at night. might want to check ebay and see if that guy still sells them. I paid about $30 i think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.