FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have a big problem I have a 90' ford e-scort 1900 cc motor and my alternator is not charging the battery, changed the starter and battery but it still runs off battery alone checked alt. connectors, and ran ohm test by removing the battery touching + cable and block and getting straight connection from somewhere, did a basic fuse pull test and nothing so the short does not run through the fuse panel, by the way this all happend just after hitting big snow pile and already checked all connections under the car, so what im hoping is some one will read this and get a great idea on what to do.

P.S. No i'm not going to trash the car!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alright, this is far from my area of expertise (I dont even know if I have one of those....) but Ill give it a rip.

You say you have changed out the battery and the starter...but what about the alternator? If thats not charging your battery, could that be the issue? My guess is that you have already checked to see if you are getting output from it, but it couldnt hurt to test again.

Also, if you hit a snow pile, is there a chance that you got water somewhere that it shouldnt have been? Can you park it somewhere warm overnight so it can melt out/dry off? Could you have knocked a ground cable/connector loose somewhere? Is the belt loose or did it mess with the tensioner?

Yeah, thats all I can think of. Good luck!

~Bug

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
I'm guessing that you got some water in your alternator. Let it dry out. Don't use the car in the mean time. The best way to dry out the alternator would be to remove it and leave it next to a heat source (like a vent, or something) overnight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not Charging

Is the idiot light on? Many alternators require a small current through an idiot light to excite the field and start the charging. In earlier days it was the I terminal on the voltage regulator.

If the idiot light bulb has failed, I wouldn't expect a charge.
GB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts