FEOA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just replaced my passenger side half shaft since my cv joint blew out. and i had trouble removing it so i took out the intermediate shaft with it. when i did that the transmission fluid came out, about 3/4 of a quart. my book says to remove the speedometer gear out of the top of the tranny. i had done this before a couple years back when i put in the driver side halfshaft. this time i removed the electrical connection. removed the speedometer cable, and removed the bracket / clip that holds it to the tranny, then tried to pull it out and it was stuck in there. i don't remember it being that difficult to pull out. it ended up coming apart and the gear portion of the speedometer was stuck in the tranny. now i can't get that out, plus i can't fill it up. i managed to put it back together then i took it for a test drive to see if it would be ok, but now its making like a grinding noise and shaking. is there anywhere else to fill it up at other than the speedometer. also is this a normal noise when the trans fliud is low. or any ideas how to get a stuck speedometer gear out. please help i want my car back bad

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
on my GT you have to remove the speedo gear and fill to a certain marking on the gear....the only problem is that you would need a picture pointing out the mark as it is not marked on the gear which one it is....and if memory serves me right(which there is no guarrantee...lol) on the 1.9l 91-96 LX models you fill them the same way....I hope this helps...but I can reccomend the Hayne's Manual...they have it nicely detailed in there...and for my 12-16 bucks you cannot get a better bang for your buck when it comes to turning wrenches on your own car

·
Registered
576 Posts
I know it's on top of the transmission, that's the only place.
I went to the garage once to see if my transmission fluid was low...it's was so the mechanic tried for about 4hour to remove that little thing to fill it up... He was obliged to scrap it in order to remove it. It cost like 100$ a little thing like that, plus time... I was a little bit angry...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thats my problem. i was trying to get out the speedo gear but it was stuck in the trans. the plastic part on top came apart from the gear and the center of it fell out aswell. i just was wandering if there is another place that i could get fliud in at. its making a chattering noise and i think its because the fluid is too low. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went out today and tried to get it out again but no luck. the stem of the speedo gear came out but the gear did not. i also could not find any other place to put fluid in at. got an appointment with the garage on monday. feels like an eternity since i could drive it, its been week and a half

·
Registered
899 Posts
there is no other place to fill it at. the same thing happened to me i used a pair of pliers and just wiggled the base of the sensor. i dont mean to be rude or any thing but you did take the bolt out that holds the sensor down right.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i pulled the bolt and the bracket out, it should have came out but it wouldn't move, so i wiggle the crap out of it and the top part plus the stem came out leaving just the gear inside and nothing to grab onto. its in there, ive got an appointment on mon for the gartage to look at it, i'll tell ya if they fix it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when your fluid was low did it make a grinding noise, cause thats where i'm at now. i got everything back together but i still hear like a grinding noise. i replaced the drive shaft and i was very careful handling it so not to disrupt it. but i still hear a grinding noise. the only thing that i haven't done was top off the fluid. its about a quart low. would that make the grinding noise being that low, i don't know how much fluid it needs to be running in to make it operate properly. has anybody ran there tranny real low and heard a noise from it. i am not familiar with transmissions but thats the only thing i can think of that i didn't do yet, or could it be the gears are fried. hope its not that

·
Registered
187 Posts
if just the plastic gear part was in there it would fall into the trans. if you have the threaded part sticking out, an axle nut will fit it perfectly, and you can use it to pry on or wiggle it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, i wish i had a better picture of one so i can see what part of it is still stuck in there. i think i know what you are talking about but i can't see nothing in there too well, its at kind of a bad spot. i have hoses in the way at the top and i can't see over the tranny from underneath. by the way what do you mean by axle nut? not the big nut that hold a drive shaft on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts