FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone else ever had both the temp and fuel gauge simultaneously max out for a few moments then return to normal? This occured on my 90 with a tached cluster a couple of times today.

It is rather warm and we went on a small excursion with the car today. I wasn't worried about the car overheating because the fuel gauge was doing the same thing too. If it was just the temp gauge, I would have been worried. The gauges went from about half to pegged out then returned back to where they should be.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My '88 Pony doesn't have a temperature gauge, but I've had the fuel gauge do that several times over the years. I don't know what causes it, but as long as it's a temporary thing I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
marshpoprock said:
As anyone else ever had both the temp and fuel gauge simultaneously max out for a few moments then return to normal?
Yes...mine does it sometimes. As a matter of fact my Ford trucks used to do it too. I think it's a combination of sticking instrument voltage regulators and the sending units getting flaky.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Your cluster is probably getting ready to die, since both gauges, I believe, use the same ground circuit on the cluster itself. If that shorts, then you have the gauges pegging.

I doubt it's the fuel and temp senders simultaneously shorting; it's either wiring harness or cluster, and I'm willing to bet it's the cluster before the wires.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can verify the exact same concern on a couple of my older Ford cars and trucks. Never figured out the cars since the concern was so intermittent I never worried about it. On the trucks, however, replacing the ICVM (cluster voltage regulator) nailed it. On my '79 Ford truck it had a snap in style regulator on the back of the cluster (kinda cool, actually...it plugged in like a 8 volt battery)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.