FEOA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me admit that I do not know a whole lot about cars, so my explanation of this may not be the best.

Okay, so I have a 1999 that for the last several months has been plagued by the dreaded "rough idle" problem. Like most of you, my idle gets even more erratic when I turn on the A/C...and as a result I am forced to put it in neutral.

Well, I have searched these forums for the last several days and I have compiled a list of things I am going to try to do to resolve this problem. I started yesterday by cleaning the MAF sensor and cleaning the throttle body. I also replaced the PCV valve.

However, the question I have is that when I was replacing the PCV valve I noticed that there was no elbow connecting the valve to the other line. The valve is connected directly to what looks like a container on one end, and directly to a hose on the other end (this hose is too connected to another hose which runs directly to the top of the gasket head)...but no elbow was present. So, I was wondering if there should be an elbow there, and if not could this feasibly be causing my rough idle problems? Also, I took the hose off that connects directly to the valve and it appeared to be cracked on both ends where it connects. I wondered if this was a big deal, and if so what can I do to reduce suction in this hose?

Thank you very much in advance for all of your responses.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
if the hose is cracked, it should be replaced. I'm pretty sure there should be an elbow on the PCV valve, my 02 had it for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks for your post. Do you have any idea where I could find a PCV hose at? I looked online at autozone and oreilly, neither of them had any listed. Also, I looked under the hood of my car again and noticed that there is an elbow joint right next to where I pulled the PCV from. However, it is very large (much bigger than the PCV valve)...so I don't know if this has anything at all to do with the PCV itself.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
mine has the elbow right at the PCV valve, right next to the exhaust manifold.

mine is the same as this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the info. I appreciate the picture, because my PCV doesn't look anything like that. I'm going to post some pics later of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
is your 99 an early production car?

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
look in the drivers side door jam, there should be a tag in there. it would have the manufacture date, something like 2/99 for February of 1999.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, my camera isn't working at the moment. I did look where you told me, however, and I did find that this car was made in April 1999 --- which I guess makes it early? Anyway, thanks again for all of your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
actually that would be considered late. the production year runs from approx september to august, just like how the new model year cars come out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help, but I took the car into the shop today to get a diagnostic and they gave me the bad news. Apparently, there is a rod knocking in the engine...so I finally have to give up this car. I am sad to see it go, but maybe its for the better.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
junking it or trading it in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Idk. I don't have enough money to try to do the cash for clunkers thing. So, I guess I will have to junk it. Unless I could find a used lot that would let me trade it in for a car.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
I would either run it until it's completely dead, or trade it in while it's still running decent.

I would also get a second opinion, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could someone please help me with where the PCV valve on my 98 ZX2 is? If you could refer to it by the grid I put in the image, that would really help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts