Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part No: 12A650-xx

91 Fed; Auto -MA
92 Fed; Man -HA
94 Fed; Man -LA
94 Cal; Man -KA
94 Cal; Auto -EB
95 Cal; Auto -CC

(Please add your own or any that you know... it might help for future searches.)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PCMs

zzyzzx said:
Am I the only one not getting this one?
There is big difference in performance between PCM's built for FEDeral Standards and those for CALifornia/NY Standards.

In reality, each year, Ford improved performance in the PCM... so, if you can replace an older PCM, with an alike newer PCM, you should receive the provement.
The Chips are Different... components changed... and Circuits improved: internally a 93 Fed, Manual is nothing alike the 95 Fed, Manual, PCM.

Sorry, I just assumed that everyone knew.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Or you can take your current ECU to a Ford dealer to have the programming updated with the newest version. I'd imagine that'd cost some money though. Also, not all ECU's are interchangable due to some being programmed for engines with EGR and some without. From what I've heard there's a difference between EGR and non-EGR ECU's.

Stupid California Emissions. They actually reduced the rated power significantly on the new 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel across the board just for it to meet emissions in that state. If I recall correctly it was pumping out at least 20hp more before they finally tuned it for California emissions.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PCMs

I have only one Non-EGR PCM... a -HA... and it has a big J2W id above the Bar Code... if this is of help to anyone.
In fact, internal Ford documents on the EEC-IV speak of a Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) subroutine in the Program that will simulate the EGR's existence, if it fails, so as not to impact the system. So, I do not know, if on the Non-EGR version, that this routine is not imployed, simply to make up for the lack of the Sensors.
PCMs often show up when someone is parting a car... so, for the cost of maybe $20, you can have the computer... a lot cheaper than from a Dealer or one of the Chip Customizers.
If you bought your car on the Used Car Market... you may not know that you have the lousy Calif/NY PCM, until you look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EEC-IV

zzyzzx said:
We are talking about the EEC-IV computer under the hood, correct?
NO... the EEC-IV System was employed from 1983 (1986 for 1.9L) to 1995... and in 1996, the EEC-V was employed. As part of the System... the PCM (called different things in different years, but really the Master Computer) is located on the floor, behind the Center Console, behind an Air Duct, against the Fire Wall.

The PCM in the -V System has more pins and a different plug and is not compatable with the -IV (60 pin system).
The one under the hood is called the EEC or Engine Computer; so, there is a difference between the EEC component and the EEC System, to which it belongs, with the PCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.