FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
To clean and prep it properly, you'll need to remove it. It's aluminum; just make sure you get a paint that will adhere to aluminum properly. Many paints don't.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Also, don't forget to replace the gasket when you put it back on. Couldn't hurt to check the PCV valve while you're at it. And make sure you torque the bolts back to spec torque, and also make sure you tighten them in alternating sequence (for even gasket compression).

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If you have a 1.9, the gasket is re-usable. For sure torque to spec or you may cause yourself some grief. Follow the torque sequence if you can find one. If not, start at the center bolts and work out in an alternating pattern. This "spreads" the gasket towards the free ends of the mating surfaces. If you start torquing at the ends and work in it can cause the gasket to "bunch up" and leak.

Good luck :wink:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I would not recommend reusing a gasket, even if it is supposedly reusable....I have reused gaskets that end up leaking....not a good thing...besides they do not cost that much...and def follow the torque procedures...will save later headaches

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I agree never re-use a gasket, especially for flat paper gaskets or a metal gasket. But the valve cover gasket on the 1.9 is a rubbery/silicone thing, it's more like a seal if anything. Even the twelve year old gaskets I pull at the wreckers are in great shape, still as flexible as new. Someone, either here or on ERDT replaced the valve cover gasket. The gasket was $40 8O

As with anything your choice :wink:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeah...the valve cover gasket is very pricy !! between 30-40 CDN bucks....i reused mine already and it does not leak..juste make sure it is clean and in good shape and it will be just fine....you could buy another one if you have some money and dont know what to do with it...but i think it useless from my experience...but only for the valve cover gasket..for anyother one get the new stuff for sure...

on a side note, i dont understand why the fellpro Exhaust gasket only cost like 5 $.....seems more complicated to build then the valve cover one....
any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
that is very good that the 1.9 ones seem to work out well on reuse...I put one on my 1.8, then about 2 months later decided to paint my valve cover...so I went ahead with the one I had just put on a couple of months prior and it leaked all down the sides of the head...so...I had to go get another...lol...but being the two engines are so different that may be the reason...either way the making of the paint job is in the prep work...we have a silicone bead blaster at work that I used to bring mine down to bare metal...turned out better than the first time

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
After the paint dries, grab a hand-held belt sander with some aggressive grit and run it across the ridges, leaving bare aluminum exposed. Then clearcoat the whole thing. That will give it a very fancy machined look when you pop your hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts