FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The race car is all preped and ready for paint...... I am going out to tape it off and squirt a few colors on it :D will add photos later tonight....

Grav1ty

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok.... I am between colors and waiting for them to dry, so I can tape on it.....

Going back out to play........

Grav1ty

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Everything came out good but the driver side hood and fender

It did some sort of wrinkel thing and i might have to reclear that.....

if not ... it is a race car....

Grav1ty

will have more pics after it is dry and i can take it outside

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All PPG products.... and I used a gravity feed spray gun...I got about half the product from ppg free ( the advantages of working for bodyshops...)

I bumped all the dents and repaired all the rust with duraglass, (I used both long and short hair depending on what I was fixing) bondo, and a 2 part finishing glaze. (real smooth and easy to sand)

I primed the entire car with a 2 part urethane primer (laquer primers suck)

Sanded entire car with 360, then wet sanded the entire car with 400 (helps remove all the dust....)

Used a scotch brite (gray) over the entire car again (gets in the hard to reach areas better than sand paper)

Taped it all off

Blew it down for what seems like an eternity with high pressure air.

Cleaned the garage spotless earlier in the day as to let everything settle, and wet the floor to help control the dust. Sheets of plastic help to pull dust using the static cling and I used them to cover all that I did not want covered with overspray

Used a tack rag to remove all the rest of the dust.

Then started to spray the product.

I normally would seal the car with sealer, but since I primed the entire car and did not break thru the primer much I skipped that step

I cut in everything (hood, door, and trunk jambs, as well as the front under the cover and suspension)

Then it got the the silver stripes both sides, and the yellow in the front

Taped off what I wanted and sprayed on the blue

Then the red on the passenger side

Then the green on the driver side

Then I sprayed clear with a purple flake over everything

Then the final clear overall( I finally went to bed @ 4:30 in the morning)

Even with some free paint, I still have over $500 in products, and a LOT of time.....
Each of the paints use a reducer and a hardener, so everything I spray has 2 to 3 things mixed to make what I spray, not to mention all the thinner it takes to clean everything between colors.

Grav1ty

[quote}
I want do chameleon paint if I ever do mine over..[/quote]

Last I heard that chameleon paint was like $1000 - $1200 a gal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Niiiice work!!!! its a pretty good design you made there....and it takes some skills too :p nice job !!!

for what kind of racing this car was created for? Ice racing isnt it?

Once again nice job !

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As uasual I am finishing @ the last minute....I have to have the car loaded on the trailer tomorrow so I can leave for the next autocross Wed after work....

for what kind of racing this car was created for? Ice racing isnt it?
It is for autocross right now (summer) and I might ice race it too.

With a different cage I might do some SCCA road racing with it next year.

The cage is not made to any specs and is not legal for road raceing ..... yet....

I have a bender so.... time and a little "more" money.....

Grav1ty

The other side of the car looks nothing like the right. Iit is green and blue but I have to wait till it is out of the garage to take a photo. We are going to go out to reclear the hood and fenders to fix it..

Grav1ty

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Well, I have no interest in racing whatsoever, but I have to salute you for the effort you put into this. That is a ton of work. My idea of painting my beater is fifteen minutes with a can of primer and a foot wide roller. I could never do what you did.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recleared the hood and front fenders...

All is good....

Going to put it together tomorrow, then off to the races...

If I don't get any photos up tomorrow, I will when I get back Sunday or Monday

Grav1ty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts