FEOA Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
39,324 Posts
all typical issues for your mileage. not a big deal. but yes i agree the pcv is most of the cause of the lean code and leaks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
all typical issues for your mileage. not a big deal. but yes i agree the pcv is most of the cause of the lean code and leaks
Yeah. I still want to high mileage this car. Second ZX2 I have owned now and the last one made it up to 326K and would have kept going but needed a clutch and transmission.

Big O sure did a crappy job when I got an alignment from them. The numbers came out crappy, the steering wheel tilts right and the car pulls left. Also they said they could not adjust rear toe in on the right side because it was "frozen". Makes me wonder why they didn't attempt to get it unfrozen. Anyway as soon as ball joints are in and new front struts I will get a proper alignment from a real shop. After that it's a new timing belt, new engine mounts and then a new valve cover gasket and plugs... Then it's off to 200K and beyond. LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update time...

The car went into the shop this morning. I have a great mechanic. I took it in at 8 AM and it was done by 10 AM. Both ball joints were replaced. They said that they were in terrible condition and about ready to completely break. So it was time. They also said that they were so rusted that they had to use both an impact and a hammer to get the old ones out of there. There was no way that I could have done that job myself... Makes me wonder if those ball joints were original. So now that is good. They also got the rear toe adjustment unfrozen. Big O for some reason could not do that (probably because they are incompetent).

As to the P0171 lean condition...

The PCV was completely clogged up. So a new valve and grommet went in. The hose itself was melted in half behind the engine so it was just sucking air there. Probably the reason for the crappy idle and the lean code. With the new Motorcraft hose installed and tied up in place so that it will not happen again the car is running much better. No more rough idle. Will have to see if it idles as high when I first start it in the morning as well. It appears to be idling a whole lot better and at a slightly lower RPM. So I believe that a few things got fixed by fixing the PCV system. Now I am going to have to do the valve cover again. Also the timing belt will need to be replaced in about 6,000 miles or so. That is on the schedule. After that some new engine mounts and I am taking this car to the next 100,000 miles. Currently it has 184K on it...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts