FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I've had some issues with stumbling during acceleration, I've cleaned the MAF as told, replaced the fuel filter, and the oxygen sensor. Still bad. The guy at Autozone said there's 2 sensors, I replaced the one right after the exhaust manifold, just behind the radiator but cannot find the second one, any suggestions.

It's a '93 wagon w/ 1.9 engine.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,070 Posts
You don't have a second one and even if you did it would have no effect on your engine stumbling.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
How many miles are on the car?
Did you check for vacuum leaks? The PVC elbow goes bad like mad on these cars. Get a MityVac and use it to check for vacuum leaks.
How many miles are on the spark plugs? I hope you didn't put in Bosch plugs, they don't work good in these cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has about 133 k miles, and the plugs have about 25 k on them, no they're not platinum ones either.
I did replace the PVC elbow twice now, they don't make them very sturdy, I ended up this last time, a month ago, using some rigid fuel line and it's doing well.
How do I use the MityVac to check for leaks? Can I hook up a shop-vac to the system instead?

Thanks for the help all, I appreciate it as I feel a little unsafe crossing intersections when it decides to hesitate and buck (I really don't want to get t-boned). Dave

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
you should be using double platinum spark plugs like Autolite APP 5144's.

You connect up the MityVac to all vacuum devices and hoses, then operate the pump (hand held) and see if it holds vacuum.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Plug wires. My guess is the #1 hole. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Zzyzzx,

I have a Haynes manual, they only show testing the TPS in ohms for the 1.8 liter. Any suggestions for the 1.9, or is it the same?

Funny you should mention the TPS, I was thinking the same.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Daves9 said:
Hey Zzyzzx,

I have a Haynes manual, they only show testing the TPS in ohms for the 1.8 liter. Any suggestions for the 1.9, or is it the same?

Funny you should mention the TPS, I was thinking the same.
You test it with an ohm meter the same way you would test any variable resistor. I use a wiring harness piece that I got at a junkyard and unplug the tps and plug in the test piece and read the ohms while moving the throttle (with the engine off). checking both sides to see if the resistance jumps around at any point (like a spike). If the TPS resistance acts like a dirty volume control knob, then it's bad. That's what happens to variable resistors when they get old, they wear out. It helps when you used to be an electronics technician like me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Zzyzzx, I too am an Elecronics Tech active duty working on USCG jet aircraft, just went over 22 years on Monday. I understand how a variable resistor works, I was wondering about the pin arrangement if it's the same as the 1.8, I'll figure it out.

Regarding the wires, I'm at work now and need to look at the maintenance log if they've been done once at home, I don't recall doing them myself and I've had the car since it was 110 k miles.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Daves9 said:
Thanks Zzyzzx, I too am an Elecronics Tech active duty working on USCG jet aircraft, just went over 22 years on Monday. I understand how a variable resistor works, I was wondering about the pin arrangement if it's the same as the 1.8, I'll figure it out.
Standard 3 pin variable resistor. It isn't hard to figure out. If it matters, at 180K, I've got the original TPS in my 1995LX.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would say change the wires, my 95 was doing the same thing. I assumed the wires where OK just because they looked good but after changing them the car runs great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, took out the TPS, it semed to have a 'flat spot/open" in the middle of it's range while testing. So I sprayed it out with some avionics cleaner and cleaned the contacts, also cleaned the throttle body as well, re-installed and so far it seems to work without any stumbling.

I also went ahead and got new plug wires since they're the original ones, I felt it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Daves9 said:
Well, took out the TPS, it semed to have a 'flat spot/open" in the middle of it's range while testing. So I sprayed it out with some avionics cleaner and cleaned the contacts, also cleaned the throttle body as well, re-installed and so far it seems to work without any stumbling.
I would not necessarily expect the spray stuff to have a long term effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.