FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have a cable-actuated clutch or a hydraulic one?
The reason I ask is because someone is trying to answer my problem and asked that.

This is my problem.

I've been having problems this week. First the car doesn't seem to want to leave 1st if I stay in it for more than a few seconds. And when it gets stuck, I have to turn it off, pump the clutch and then shift it out. If I'm moving and it gets stuck (even if I didn't ride 1st) I can get it out of 1st but it takes some pushing. Today I was parking and when I stoped, I couldn't get it out of gear. But I noticed that when I let go of the brakes, even with the clutch all the way through, it started to move foward (I was parked in an incline so it should've gone back not foward.)
Once I turned it off, and pumped the clutch, I was able to shift without a problem and on 1st with the clutch on, the car acted normal.

What could be wrong? I've thought that the syncro's were having problems at first (because my rear has been hard to get into for some time.) And then I thought that I needed a tranny flush, because the junk can make it act the same as a syncro problem. Somebody help. It still drives normal most of the time, but I want to fix whatever it is before it becomes something big.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
We employ an hydraulic clutch in our cars.

Reverse has no synchro 'cos it shouldn't need one. If your synchros are acting up, it will only affect going into gear, not coming out of gear.

You need to drain your tranny fluid and change it. Check to see if particles come out. Before you do this, check the level - it may be quite low.

Have you checked your clutch/brake fluid level?

I cannot explain how your car went up the hill.

You need to deal with this right away; it may already be too late for your tranny.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
your clutch is hydraulic...pushing the pedal pulls the rod that is attached to the clutch master cylinder forcing fluid to the slave cylinder attached to the transmission. my guess is that you have air in the lines or your brake fluid is low, the clutch system utilizes the fluid from your brake master cylinder. Check the level of the fluid if it is full, check for leaks and maybe bleed your clutch system...this may be done using the same procedures as bleeding brakes...the bleeder valve is attached to the clutch slave cylinder on the front side of the transmission next to the front motor mount...hope this helps

anomalous

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If the clutch release fork doesn't push the T.O. bearing all the way forward on the spline, the clutch will rub on the pressure plate and flywheel just a little and make it difficult to pull out of gear.

It could also be the shift rods in the tranny have binded up a little. This happened to my sis's 91GT and we ended up junking the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about cars, so I'm gonna have to get it checked out by someone else. I hope that the tranny isn't gone. :(
On a side note, it only happens once in a while. It'll work perfectly, then suddently, get stuck.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I had this same problem. Blead the clutch, if that doens't work, it's probably a bad master cylinder. Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.corsicas.com/forums/index.ph ... ntry102928

I asked there, too. It seems everyone is in agreement that I need to at least do a flush of the transaxle fluid and bleed the clutch...
I pray it isn't the master cylinder. How much would THAT end up costing me.

In fact, how much would ANY of these end up costing me if I did it myself or if I brought it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm leaning towards the same. My uncle thinks it's the same thing.
I'm going to check on some prices (I'll try to avoid driving it, since it's all highway speeds...) and take my father's minivan. Hopefully on my day off, I can get all the parts together and fix it up.
Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
clutch

I have a 91 esscort and my question is that for some reason I can not shieft into 1st gear, it started about a week ago i can use 2nd 3rd and 4th but cant use 1st to start once i stopped, just woundering what could be the problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try putting it in REVERSE first--

You don't have to go anywhere.. Then put it in First..

Your transmission is "gated" to keep you from accidentally downshifting INTO reverse..

You're probably not putting it in first, before you shut off the car-- and the "gate" remains closed..

·
Registered
4 Posts
tried it

I tried it and it worken once then kept on not lettting me start in first i think i might need to replace something but dont know were to start
ajrn said:
Try putting it in REVERSE first--

You don't have to go anywhere.. Then put it in First..

Your transmission is "gated" to keep you from accidentally downshifting INTO reverse..

You're probably not putting it in first, before you shut off the car-- and the "gate" remains closed..

·
Registered
4 Posts
one thing after another im going to replace the slave deal and try to adjust the clutch, now its over heating and wont start, thing God its a stick and can roll in to get it going my goal is to do it all my self but finding thi time is getting short

·
Registered
230 Posts
No 1st

Did you say that your car will NOT go into 1st when stopped? Does that mean it WILL go in while still rolling? If that is the case and it is not a clutch problem ..... I know it sounds like a really dumb question but does your speedometer work ? Is there a possibility something maybe plastic could have gotten ( or broken ) in your gear box ?
You need to check out the post in the DRIVETRAIN section on Transmission Troubleshooting and see if there is something interferring with internal shift linkage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.