FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One asked for photo. I'm certain others will appreciate. Orig plugs and wires (printed "1999" and "LE")

shows electrode on #1 which broke on removal. Those gaps are, top-bottom, 1,2,3,4, .090, .071, +.100, .071!!!

(I wonder if gaps were wide on initial install at factory, which was Michigan.)

Car running MUCH better now. Will post current mpg when I know.

regards.. dNorm

White Coil Auto part Font Art

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It sure looks like the gaps must have been originally too wide, but they must just look that way.
Having excessively large gaps makes the coil work much harder, which can ruin it.

I had to change a coil on an old Corolla recently, the plugs had gaps like these (about .080") and were the wrong part number as well. In a pinch I just close up the plugs until I can get new ones.

·
Administrator
39,497 Posts
the factory gap is 55-60 thou, so thats quite a bit larger lol. those plugs are 'rated' for 100k, so they definitely got their life used. so at 55 thou, the coil generates about 50kv, so you were probably in the 80-100kv range. nice hot spark. id check the bottom of the coil pack for cracks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced coil pack when I put in new wires and plugs. Coil pack was Motorcraft, prob original. I dont see any cracks. 30.23 mpg hwy with first tank after tune-up. When it gets to half I wanna dump in a bottle of Techron and push it in 3rd gear on the highway to see if I can clear out the cylinders.
regards..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts