FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing my spark plugs. On two of them there was oil on the threads. Is this normal? If not, what is my next step? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Or it could be left overs if someone oiled the threads to make installing the plugs easier the last time they were changed.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The oil was only on two of them. The didnt appear to be lightly greased...those sob's looked like someone dipped them in oil (ok..maybe a little exaggeration but you get the point) For comparison there was more oil on them than at the end of the oil stick of a freshly filled pan.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I still think It is your valve cover gasket.On my contour I had oil on my spark plugs like you only two and I had it replaced and no oil on my plugs ever since.You should pull out those two plugs and see if you have oil on them again.If you do then your valve cover gasket is shot.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Are you burning any oil (ie blue smoke at start-up or when running)? Were the electrodes themselves fouled?

Which cylinders - 1 and 4? If so, your valve cover may be warped a bit. Simply replacing the gasket may not prevent this from recurring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The old plugs seemed to have normal wear. The plugs with the oil on the threads came out of 3 and 4. No blue smoke. I'm going to check the new ones for oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts