FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.0 97 turbo is coming along, I think I'm about 70% done, I was reading through the stiky's and realized that I didn't give much though to oil pressure to the turbo. I"ll be 'T'ing off the back of the block as sugessted and running high pressure line to the turbo.

I see that marclar has added a pressure regulator, but he's running a different turbo. FOr the guys that have RHB5's (VJ11 specifically) do we need to regulate the pressure? I see Jeff is running a Tbird distribution block does this have an internal regulator?

Thanks! My goal is to have this running by no later than Thanksgiving as it's been 2 months almost 2 months so far....

·
Administrator
9,319 Posts
if you have a turbo.. you have to have a presure reg. when my turbo pressure is above 15psi it leaks.. theres pics on my cardomain page of how i didit.. btw a oil cooler is a good thing too.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Never heard of am oil pressure regualtor being needed for turbo oil feeds. Does Jeff have one, and tokstad, no the oil distribution block Jeff has does not have one buit in. I have always talked to guys that say the more lubrication the better for you turbo. You sure the seals just aren't bad on your turbo marclar??

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
If the pressure is to high, say 80spi it will ruin/blow the seals. Alot of honda's oil pressure is to high so they need a regulator. My friend is haveing this problem with his CRX. This is one of the reasons you don't boost untill your car warms up and your oil pressure settles at its low point instead of boost right after start up where it is at it's high point.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Does your turbo have this fitting on it on the oil inlet side?

If it does, look inside of it. The side that goes into the turbo should be smaller,(I'm talking about the oil passage hole,not the outter diameter) about the size,maybe a little bigger than a pin hole.If it does ,that is your pressure reducer.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks wanago, I was suspecting that piece would restrict the flow some. It does have that so it ought to work. Well we will see once I get it plumbed. Thanks guys for you feedback

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I might have an idea why marclar needs a regulator..

I have run into a few issues with oil seeping past the seals in pretty large volume once I started my turbo for the first time. I haven't figured out if my return is too small or it I need a regulator so I poked around a little more on a few websites..... I am definately above to oil level in the pan on the return (albeit only a couple inches) Below is MarClars third setup.

To me it seems that in this picture since the turbo is mounted upside down? The flange that Steve is suppling oil to is the return flange. If this is the case I might be able to understand that any substancial oil in the return trying to exit through the supply might be an issue?

His is working at 15psi so I give him props but it does seem a little low to me in terms of oil circulation as the turbo gets really really hot.

I ripped my turbo apart to replace the seals and stripped the main shaft so I'm pretty screwed at this point :cry: but I Think my problem may have been too restrictive of a return rather than to large of a supply. What side tubing to most of you have on your "working" oil return lines. I think I used 1/4" but I'm guessing most people are using 1/2". Could this have been my issue rather than bad seals?

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.