FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '97 that has started leaking oil that collects at the bottom of the flywheel housing. The oil doesn't appear to be coming down the sides of the housing, so am I correct in thinking that it's either the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket that will need to be replaced? It only leaks while the engine has been driven. If I wipe the oil off....no more drains out until after I've driven it more.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What color Oil?
That is happening to me too. And only when driven the only oil is Red which is transmission. If its honey or black then you know where its coming from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's nice golden synthetic oil....I had just changed it a couple of weeks ago. I was just hoping there might be a way to tell which gasket is bad without pulling the pan off first. If it's the main seal, then I might as well start with pullig the tranny out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
74,000.......I've changed oil 4 times using synthetic.
I have to say that one of the bolts that tie the oil pan to the tranny was out about 1/4". I couldn't believe it when I saw that. I imagine that didn't help matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.