FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody out there running 7-inch-wide rims? I´ve got a typical question but few people seem to address it in terms of offset: I´m wondering whether a 42mm offset on a set of 16X7-inch wheels would rub the tire against the fender if the tires are 205-45-16s. Since the stock offset for the 15 EGT rims is 38mm, I´m assuming that the tire will not rub against the struts.
- Rob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Dont change your offset, it can do more damage then people think.

If it puts you at ease I´m running a Rage 5.0 17x7´s with 215/40-17´s.
The only place I rub is the outside rear fenders....I get no rub on the inside front and rear.

BTW: a 215/40 is a more exact size then a 205/40 for those of use with 17´s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Offsetting your wheels too much can wreak havoc on your bearings especially in the front.
Such as guys with daytons or mcleans that have a 1 inch wheel spacer to give them the wide stance look.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I" spacer...ouch!!!!

Yeah a 40mm (maybe a 42mm if your lucky) with a 205 will about max it out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. In the end, I decided to buy some 16X6.5" rims from the 2001 Miata. They´ve got 42mm of positive off-set but they come without tires so I´ll be able to experiment with a 205 and drop back down to 195s if need be. Turn-in and "feel" are more important to me that sheer grip in any case so I could settle for the narrower tire if I have to. And if worse some to worse, I can try spacers but I´m not too crazy about that. Anyway, they should be here in a week or two.
- Rob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ROB!!...dont get the 42mm offset it will kill your bearings (has a tendency to bend tie rod ends when going over speed bumps too)

Go ahead and get a 7" wide wheel...a 205/45-16 wont rub with a 38" offset. In fact a nice looking set of 16x7´s are the Enkei RS-6´s. They look sweet in 16´s.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you serious?! 4mm in additional positive offset would put too much stress on it? I even checked with 1010tire.com who said it would be a good fit. With additional positive offset, I´m moving the centre of the wheel closer to the body, so I don´t get it. Has it happened to you or someone you know? If so, these are going to be darned expensive planters I´m buying...

-- Rob

[ Edited by Rob-from-Ottawa On Date 07-17-2002 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts