FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure what happened to cause this - so I'm posting my story.

I was headed home from downtown this evening - in a hurry because one of my really good female friends had just found out she had been cheated on and called me balling her eyes out. I needed to be there for her - that's what friends are for, right?

So I leave for home, 5 minute trip to the highway - hit the highway, everything clear (like NO cars ANYWHERE.. weird). Get up to speed quickly (~110mph) and just cruise.. Well about 10 minutes later, I hear a loud pop, clunk, snap, and rattling noise, and my engine dies. I take it out of gear and start cruising in nuetral..

::thinks to self:: WTF was that? Did I just blow a clutch? No, the engine wouldn't have cut off.. Did I blow something in the tranny? No, the engine wouldn't have cut off.. Did I ::GASP:: SNAP A ROD?!?

I then attempt to crank the engine over (still in nuetral at ~90mph) and it's not making any funny noises. I would imagine all sorts of noise if I had broke something internally. I depress the clutch, put it back into 5 gear, and let the clutch out.. engine still doesn't start, but I don't hear any un-ordinary noises, but still no power (engine is at about 4k rpm, imagine turning your engine off at 90mph while still in gear). I look in the rear-view mirror to see HUNDREDS of GLOWING orange pieces of GOD KNOWS WHAT shooting out from underneath the pass. side of my car.

My car's current setup - Header, flexpipe, cat. Everything behind the catalytic converter has been removed. Timing has been advanced, but have never noticed a lean condition or detonation of any kind. Other than that, stock.

Finally come to a stop in a church parking lot and popped the hood. A gentleman who had pulled onto the highway behind me (he hadn't seen how fast I was going) asked if I needed a ride since he saw glowing shrapnel flying from under my car from the distance.

The reason the engine died is SOMEHOW the coil-wire popped off of the coil so I was not getting any spark. I re-attached the wire and drove home.

My question to the FEOA community is -

WTF was the GLOWING orange stuff shooting out from under my car??

My ONLY guess is that it was pieces of catalytic converter being blown out from the engine being revved to ~4k rpm with no combustion being made.. but I really have no idea.

The car is running fine.. just as quick as before.. no funny noises.. nothing.. I just don't know what came out of my engine/off of my car/etc.

All suggestions welcome. :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I like the cat idea.. good chance you hat the cat nice and hot at 110mph (;)) and when the plug wire came off, all the fuel that should have been burn in the cylinders made it to the cat before it ignited. Then, running the car at 4k rpm was just pumping some major air right through the cat.. like a forge... so your cat desintegrated. Cool.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i guess that much o2 and fuel being poured into a red-hot catalytic converter could yield those results.. but would the material in the cat come out in chunks like that? It was seriously like a ton of little lego-sized pieces and a few like almost golf-ball sized chunks. (I don't know how else to describe the size :) )

.. and wouldn't it stink like shit?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I would think that there would be a sulfer smell. Yeah, I've had a cat break down in a rich running car with sticky valves.. it came out in little bits that I could hear rattling through the exhaust. Never saw them glowing like you did though.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
The same thing happened to me in my old cavalier. The cat exploded and shot out all over the place on the freeway. The ceramic inside it breaks up just like what you described, so I would almost guarantee thats what it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts