FEOA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after swapping in the new engine and finally getting everything in working order, I started the car up and let it run for a few minutes and went to the throttle body to see how it acted. If I go slowly the engine will rev up normally, but at a certain point there is this wah wah wah wah noise http://ibri.halfzero.net:8000/engine_poo.wav

I *think* this is attributed to a bent crankshaft pulley because the engine was shipped up here on a pallet and was leaning on that side. I'm posting the wav to see if anyone's got a different view on it. And does anyone know what the chances are that it's just the pulley and not the crankshaft itself? I mean, it would be pretty difficult to bend the crankshaft, let alone from the outside of the engine, but stranger things have happened :/

Another theory is that it could be the timing belt/cams not lined up correclty. I've gotten mixed responses on what would happen if the timing belt was even off by a tooth whether it would run like complete shit or just make a weird noise (as with my engine now). Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Yeah it no worky worky. I highly doubt it would have bent the crankshaft though.

·
Administrator
39,324 Posts
did you put the pulley on the right way? i made that mistake and desimated my oil pump. the washer goes toward the pump, the pulley goes on so the side with the edge on it faces out. this makes a "cup" to hold the belt in place.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The link works now, check again :) The crank is on the right way as far as I know. I've discovered another source could be the harmonic balancer which basically counteracts the forces applied to the crank when the a piston is fired back down to keep it from snapping or whatnot. I'm unsure as to what would be making that noise though.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Out of curiosity....

Does your timing belt have a plastic shroud on it? I think it could be your timing belt rubbing against the plastic shroud. If I were you, I'd just check all the belts. I'm almost 100% sure that it's something rubbing somewhere, and from the sound, it sounds like a belt against plastic.

What happens with belts is that they actually oscillate at certain frequencies, which is why it shows up only at certain RPMs. You end up actually getting standing wave patterns in the belt itself inbetween pulleys, and if you look at a loose belt, you'll actually see overtones of the same waveform at higher rpms, etc. Anyway, this explains why the sound goes away when you increase your rpms even more.

If your belts are easy to take off, try taking off the alternator/ps/ac belt and starting the engine up for a sec and seeing if it still makes the noise. If it still makes the noise, I think it could very well be the timing belt.

What engine is this anyways?

edit: It's definetly a sound that is within view. I can tell by the way the sound is... you can hear higher frequencies, which is something that you wouldn't be able to hear if the sound eminated from somewhere inside the engine. In other words, the quality of the sound itself has much more "presence", so to speak.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 1.8. The only belt I have left is the water pump/alt belt. I have to rev the engine to be able to hear the noise, but if I remove that belt I'm willing to bet it won't run long enough for me to check. The timing belt doesn't look like it's rubbing anywhere, it's far enough away from the side and doesn't move and there's not much play in it.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Don't run without the belt driving the water pump! That would be a really bad idea. Take the cover off the timing belt and run it without it. See if it still does it. Also it would be great to have pics if you have a digi cam.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
m0nk said:
The link works now, check again :) The crank is on the right way as far as I know. I've discovered another source could be the harmonic balancer which basically counteracts the forces applied to the crank when the a piston is fired back down to keep it from snapping or whatnot. I'm unsure as to what would be making that noise though.
There is no harmonic balancer. It's a balance crank. The crank pully has a rubber dampener built into it to help take vibration off the crank if any is present.

BTW, I do hear alot of lifter tick, I need another computer besides my laptop to hear anything else.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
drivinonthinice said:
Don't run without the belt driving the water pump! That would be a really bad idea. Take the cover off the timing belt and run it without it. See if it still does it. Also it would be great to have pics if you have a digi cam.
You can just watch your engine temps.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just replaced the water pump, not with a new one, but with one that's worked and not had any problems. It sounds as if it's coming from the rear of the engine. I experienced a shot water pump and it was kind of a constant whirring that didn't really change with engine speed. Neuman says he's going to the junkyard this weekend and I want to know if I should ask him to get the pulley balancer as well as the pulley or just the pulley.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
w00t!!! It was the timing belt. When I put it on it must have been off by like a tooth or something and that's what was causing the weirdness, and the acceleration lag that I didn't notice before. This morning I went out and started her up and noticed the crank pulley wasn't wobbling like it was (weird :/) so I decided to take the timing belt off and put it back on and take my time doing it to make sure everything was perfect. I got it put back on, went and started the car and it started immediately, not even like 3 ruh ruh's, just click START. I rev'd through about 6-7k rpms and it was very responsive and had no excess sounds. YAY ME!!!!! Now all I have to do is put the dash back in and I can have my car back!

·
Registered
724 Posts
m0nk said:
w00t!!! It was the timing belt. When I put it on it must have been off by like a tooth or something and that's what was causing the weirdness, and the acceleration lag that I didn't notice before. This morning I went out and started her up and noticed the crank pulley wasn't wobbling like it was (weird :/) so I decided to take the timing belt off and put it back on and take my time doing it to make sure everything was perfect. I got it put back on, went and started the car and it started immediately, not even like 3 ruh ruh's, just click START. I rev'd through about 6-7k rpms and it was very responsive and had no excess sounds. YAY ME!!!!! Now all I have to do is put the dash back in and I can have my car back!
good to hear :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts