FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I see a new car ad on TV, the license plate is either stamped into the car's metal or painted over to match the car. Why do they do this instead of just slapping a real icense plate on it? The ads say "professional driver on closed course", so why do they need the plates at all? Just curious...and bored.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Probably because any real license plate belongs to someone or a business. And nobody would want the liability of having their 'identity' stolen. Years ago I gave a car to a girlfriend, and let her keep my tags on it till she drove it back to her home state - when she was supposed to destroy the tags. Two years later I got a call from Florida state police asking about those tags, followed by an interview from our local police force (a detective) - in connection with a homicide investigation in another state altogether. My tags were on a car with the corpse in it!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
denisond3 said:
Probably because any real license plate belongs to someone or a business. And nobody would want the liability of having their 'identity' stolen. Years ago I gave a car to a girlfriend, and let her keep my tags on it till she drove it back to her home state - when she was supposed to destroy the tags. Two years later I got a call from Florida state police asking about those tags, followed by an interview from our local police force (a detective) - in connection with a homicide investigation in another state altogether. My tags were on a car with the corpse in it!
...whoa!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts