FEOA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last month i noticed that when i slow down in my car, usually at any rate of speed, that a clunk comes from the passenger side of the car. some days you can barely here it or feel it and others you think soemthing jsut broke with how loud it can be.

now ive looked under the car checked the ball joints (which are brand new) and the cv shafts and they seemed fine, i couldnt get a wiggle or an irregular twist out of them. the lower control arm is in good shape, so i doubt that its the problem

all the motor mounts are fine, none of them are loose, particualry because as a precaution i did tighten them up, thought they barely moved

any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
429 Posts
It could be the rubber in the motor mounts. Each end might be tight, but the joint in the middle is like links in a chain, with rubber in between. If the rubber is worn, the "links" (the engine and chassis sides of the motor mounts) knock together and make noise. If there is a mount that is wet with oil, it could be deteriorated to the point that it is knocking.

The next most likely culprit would be the anti-sway bar bushings. Check them, too.

As long as it's not ball joints or tie rod ends, you don't have to worry about a catastrophic failure. If a motor mount fails, it just means there is more movement of the engine under load and less isolation between the motor and chassis. If the sway bar bushings are bad, you will get more body roll in curves. Eventually it will get bad enough that the cause will be obvious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the motor mounts are fine i know that because a week or too before the clunking noise i had the engine out for a tranny swap and too look over the block

i am positive that it not the tie rods or ball joints cause ive replced all of them and they only a few months old atm

i have a feelign its either the bushing on the sway bar are gone or that the passenger side cv shaft is bad, but i cant get any unusual rocking or shifting when i move the cv so i dont think its the cv shaft

i think ill replce the bushing on the sway bar and see if it stops then
thanks for the help man

·
Registered
927 Posts
Upper strut mounts or the A-arm bushings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I"m having trouble locating the same issue. I just replaced all 4 motor mounts, and I've verified that my control arms and bushings are fine, balljoints are fine, and swaybar endlinks are fine. What else, besides axles and strut mounts, are left?

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
kendogg said:
I"m having trouble locating the same issue. I just replaced all 4 motor mounts, and I've verified that my control arms and bushings are fine, balljoints are fine, and swaybar endlinks are fine. What else, besides axles and strut mounts, are left?
How many miles are on the car and how bad were the old motor mounts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
zzyzzx said:
kendogg said:
How many miles are on the car and how bad were the old motor mounts?
127k, and the old motor mounts were detroyed. TYop drivers side trans mount was the only one still decent. The rest were torn all the way thru.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how did you destroy motor mounts with 127k on them? mine have 221k ont hem and are still perfectly fine

anyways i have a feeling i broke my coil over spring and the clunking noice im hearing is the shock bottoming out, so im try replacing the front struts and see what happens

·
Registered
169 Posts
95rollinscort said:
how did you destroy motor mounts with 127k on them? mine have 221k ont hem and are still perfectly fine

anyways i have a feeling i broke my coil over spring and the clunking noice im hearing is the shock bottoming out, so im try replacing the front struts and see what happens
My guess is 4k RPM launches on Hoosiers at a few autox's :shrug:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Also make sure the caliper bolts are tight and that the caliper hardware and rubbers are properly installed, not bent up, and properly lubricated.

Mine was making a weird popping/grinding noise in the RF while braking, and some lube on the brake pad pins took care of the issue....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts