FEOA Forums banner

not enough fuel?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  allmotor93gt 
#1 ·
lately i have been having some trouble with my 92gt, when i step on the gas while driving it sounds like there is not enough fuel going through the injectors, and it jerks the car a little when this happens. this is at random times, its fine a couple of days then all of a sudden it sounds like something is clogged.

has anybody had this problem, what exactly is going on?

#2 ·
Its pretty common to feel a "bucking" when you are having fuel problems, or extreme misfire.

I would say check your fuel pressure. Could be a clogged pump, filter or a fuel pressure regulator going out. (could be something in the return line too)

Is there black smoke coming out of the exhaust when it happens? Black smoke indicates a fat (rich) condition. No smoke indicates a lean condition.

#6 ·
it doesnt blow out smoke at all, since i bought my car about 2 1/2 years ago i myself havent changed the o2 sensor.

this happens while im driving on straight roads especially on the freeway.

i thought it might be the fuel filter but im not really sure.

#10 ·
I've had this problem. Coolant tempature sensor, if there is a check engine light in conjunction with your problem. Otherwise, your spark plug wires are needing replaced. If you cant find it after a tune-up, a Diagnostic readout service will certainly shed some light. It shouldn't be the TPS unless you have tampered with it's position.

#11 ·
alright for the last time, fords eat these things up for breakfast. You dont have to change any setting for this to happen. Itll just go with time, and cmon the car is over 10 years old, it may just need to be replaced due to it being gone. The Wooddale Marathon shop, told me they change like 6 a week. and its a very very common ford problem. And why would coolant have anything to do with misfires?

#12 ·
Does it do it throughout the rev range? Usually when a tps wears out, it wears out in the most frequently used area's ie, highway cruising speed and at idle. One sure way to know if its the tps is when you have an autobox tranny. In conjunction with the missfiring the tranny will keep downshifting as well. Personally I'd change the fuel filter first. It's dirt cheap and relative simple to change. I change mine once a year regardless. If it's only missing at highway speeds it's a sure sign that the filter is clogged enough to starve the engine at speed, but sufficiently supplies enough fuel at idle. I'd go O2 sensor next if the filter doesn't cure what ailes you. They're also relatively cheap and if it's not the problem, your fuel economy would improve anyway over an old one. I'd be willing to guess that the original O2 sensor is still in your car as well. Finally, I would consider replacing the TPS. Despite the popular belief, Ford's do not eat them for breakfast. But after 9-11 years they do tend to wear out :wink:

sethxtreme said:
And why would coolant have anything to do with misfires?
ECT sensors obviously feed back engine temp to the ECU. This feed back is used to adjust Air/Fuel ratio's and timing advance ( timing on 1.9's only I believe) based on temperature as different ratio's and advances are required at different operating temperatures. Obviously if any of those are out of sync, especially relative to each other, well........ I doubt it would cause such an adverse effect as missfiring, but it could.

Q. When was the last time you changed your sparkplugs?

Matt 8)

#13 ·
it does do it through out the range even when idle, the car will just rev up by itself. with the car on and me outside, i've seen it rev up to about 2500 - 3000 rpm, and i always have to tap the gas to open the tb so it can calm back down, but then it goes back up all by itself.

the last time i changed my plugs was about last october. :wink:

manual tranny

#14 ·
it does do it through out the range even when idle, the car will just rev up by itself. with the car on and me outside, i've seen it rev up to about 2500 - 3000 rpm, and i always have to tap the gas to open the tb so it can calm back down, but then it goes back up all by itself.

the last time i changed my plugs was about last october. :wink:

manual tranny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.