FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 97 wagon that was "low on fuel" and the fuel pump has a noisy hum that wont go away even after putting plenty of gas in.

The car never ran out of gas. I have a Haynes manual but haven't looked at it.

Thx ahead of time for any ideas or info.

I've tried search but found very little related.

Rybo

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The fuel pump is probably old and getting tired. A new one should fix your problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R & R Fuel Pump Quesitons

madmatt2024 said:
The fuel pump is probably old and getting tired. A new one should fix your problem.
Madmatt, yeah i just came across a link to page regarding F350 and this dude was saying if you getting the loud humming from fuel pump considerr yourself lucky to know that it is about to go out, at least on the F350.

He stated that ruinning low on fuel can cause this and that is sure enough what has happen to me twice since i bough car a few weeks ago.

Old car and may have more than the 110, 000 on the odometer.

Oh well, I have a haynes manual. Any links to how to install?

Do cushions in rear of LX wagon come out and allow access to fuel tank and pump?

Maybe I need to start a new thread

Go the car for 2100. and now I've put in nearly 1000. to get road ready and safe.

Well, what can you expect for only 2100. bucks. I was prepared for this.

Just hope the car goes long time with few issues after all this, brakes, timming, etc....

I will definitly be adding some more fuel cleaner soon.

Rybo

Thx. Rybo

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The rear seat bottom comes out, there are these two buttons between the seat and the carpet, one on each side. Push on them and the seat will pop up. You then remove a cover and there is the top of the sending unit the contains the pump. The Haynes manual should have all the info required to change the pump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
madmatt2024 said:
The rear seat bottom comes out, there are these two buttons between the seat and the carpet, one on each side. Push on them and the seat will pop up. You then remove a cover and there is the top of the sending unit the contains the pump. The Haynes manual should have all the info required to change the pump.
Thx Madmatt, I read somewhere that teh sending unit and pump come as an assembly when purchased but I've found links to the pump only on the net.

I will figure it all out.

Thx again.

Rybo

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
From what I've see you can buy just the pump or the complete assembly. The pump seems to be about half the price of the assembly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EscorGo said:
Clean your pickup screen while you are at it.

At least pumps give you a warning before total failure.
Esgo and Mad, it as an assumption that the noisy pump is going bad, based on my intuition and one email in regards to F350 pku.

My mechanic friends says not to be quick to jump to conclusions, and espeically so since the seal around pump/sending unit assembly is so rusty.

I risk getting rust etc..into the tank and potential worse problems.

The only problem now is slight to moderate high pitched whine, that annoyes me.

So I will wait a few days at minimum and see how works.. He says it may work fine for many years and miles to come.

Thx for thoughts and concerns.

I got a used wiring harness for left side brake, tail and reverse lights today. The silicone seal I applied did not work, so, guess I will try more silicone.

My mechanic friend and I after much some effort and bent metall did get the metal ring around assembly loose, but that was just enough so that, if I choose to replace pump later, I can now get the assembly out.

We had to use a special little wedgu pry tool to bend loose the outer ring lips that hold the innner tight.

Crusty and rusty. This had 3 owners before me and the title is from NY ergo lots of salt eh.

Rybo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts