·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a no start condition.

Battery is good
Starter is good
Solenoid is now good.

However, I only have 8.3 volts to the solenoid.
Also I have 8.3 volts all times the car is in the "on" position, not just "start".

The voltage does not change when moving from "on" to "start"

·
Registered
927 Posts
gladstone said:
I am getting a no start condition.

Battery is good
Starter is good
Solenoid is now good.

However, I only have 8.3 volts to the solenoid.
Also I have 8.3 volts all times the car is in the "on" position, not just "start".

The voltage does not change when moving from "on" to "start"
Sounds like a bad ground, main power cable or a bunk multi meter.
Does the engine crank over and just not start?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery shows 12.6 and similar at the power post on the starter. But only 8.3 volts to the signal wire.

Engine does not crank at all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Break it down....

gladstone said:
The battery shows 12.6 and similar at the power post on the starter. But only 8.3 volts to the signal wire.

Engine does not crank at all.
Quick check for the battery, solenoid and battery.

With the car in neutral/park and the parking brake set and the key off...
Read this again and check twice!!

Remove the relay (small) wire from the starter and attatch a jumper wire to the spade terminal of the solenoid.
Touch the other end of the jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
Since you are working with a potentially large amp situation, use decent wire and protect yourself from shock.

If it turns over then you must look elswhere.
If it fails to turn over, then you have a problem with the starter, soleniod or primary wiring to the starter such as a bad ground or weak cable.

Yes I have seen cables that will pass 12 volts to a multimeter with virtually no load and fail to pass enough current when under the substantial load of a starter!

You may also have a bad battery with the same aspects in that it reads 12 volts with little load and a couple of cells are just taking a dump when asked to pass some amps.
I lost a cell and it kept erasing the presets on my radio long before it failed to start the car.

When you report the 8.3 volts to the signal wire, is it still attatched to the starter? Is this a voltage that you get by turning the key to start with 0 volts when in run or off?

I pulled a starter from the Pony that did nothing only to have it bench test as good!!
Then I rolled the starter on the bench so the solenoid was upright as it would be on the car.....Guess what??!! No start!!

Are you getting any of the normal starting symptoms such as dimming dome light?

Check voltage between the starter base and the power post on the starter
with the key in start and not. It is not switched so it should always be 12 + volts unless under heavy load.

You can even just drop a different known good battery in and test!

I love internet diagnosis in that 20 minutes of typing equals about 2 minutes of testing.

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts