FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 91 EGT (5spd), which has an odd power issue. It idles just fine (approx 5-600 RPM, hard to tell since the tach is off by around 1500), but has NO low RPM power. Even when I try to take off at higher RPM, the trans brings the motor down to lower RPM and it just won't get up and go. Once it builds some RPM, it pulls fine (though it might still be a little down on power there, and it just feels right comparatively). Seems like above 2k-2500 is when it picks back up, but it's hard to tell with the funky tach, might be more like 3k.

Thought it might have been the duct tape special intake hose and nasty air filter, but with the good stock hose out of my dead 93 and a brand new air filter it seems only a little better.

Guy I got it from said he did the timing belt himself, and he thought he had the timing right, but I'm wondering if maybe he was just a little off, either way. Could timing cause these symptoms?

· Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah if the cams are off even a tooth it'll cause it to run bad, I'd take the top timing cover off, TDC the motor by putting the crank mark on the 0 on the bottom timing cover, and see where the cams line up to, if you ruled out the intake as the issue then that's not it pretty easy swap from old to good there.

· Registered
43 Posts
I took guitardrumr's 91 out...He was just being a noob - Im jealous...its only real issues are purely cosmetic - handles like a dream...PEBSAS (Problem exists between Seat and Steering)....Love you, Guitar!! ;P

· Registered
1,117 Posts
LOL

low end loss can get ya if you open the throttle at too low of an RPM ;)

· Registered
6,096 Posts
put the exhaust back on ;)

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
juggalo said:
put the exhaust back on ;)
Actually, it still has the full stock exhaust, and from the sound of it, it doesn't even have any leaks.

Yeah, the problem was purely me. I haven't got a whole lot of wheel time with a stick, and I just got out of a 4.0 Jeep. Combine being used to lots of low end torque with unconsciously expecting the automatic's kickdown, and yeah. It's all me.

So, let the n00b comments commence :oops:

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOWETGT said:
You won't get flack from me. Now that your problem is solved, you having a good time running her? ;)
She runs great, especially now that I got some good tread on her off the dead 'Scort. And since I got a head unit hooked in so I can use the awesome speakers that came with it :). Came with a couple nice Sony speakers in the doors and a couple boxed 6x9s bolted to the luggage rack :).

I'm probly gonnna take her out to the track this Friday to see what kind of baseline numbers I can get, before I start with the mods (cut intake is a definite first, then the Protege cold air kit that you have with K-code).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.