FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Been lurking for a bit. I come from the world of Miatas (yep, that 1.8l!), where I have 2. One CSP autocross car/summer street car & a '90 Spec Miata SCCA racer.

Just picked up a '94 Tracer Trio with only 54,000 on it for $1,600. It's in excellent shape & I'm using it as a daily driver for the commute. No doubt I'll stuff an intake & exhaust on it by Spring, but for now the only trouble seems to be an apparently sticking thermostat (heats on but the guage barely moves), and the mouse belts which are rather intermittent in working. I'll tackle the thermostat this weekend, but is there a trick to getting the belts to work better? It's been BITTER cold here in MI lately & I'm wondering if that has something to do with the connections.

Anyhow...thanks for any help, I'm sure you'll see me here a lot!

·
Registered
15,395 Posts
The seat belt thing is usually the switch in the door latch. You have to remove the door panel and then the latch and you can clean the switch and reuse it. Note: almost any switch you find in the junkyard will also be dirty and the left and right door switches are not interchangable. I think it took me a whole hour to remove, clean, and replace my switch, and that was last summer and it's worked perfectly ever since. This is a common problem on all cars with automatic seat belts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
zz...i think he's having the same problem i am....My problem is the switch seems fine....but my belt wont move anymore....Its stuck just at the curve of the track. I hear it click, so it wants to move i just dont wanna take the damn thing apart to fix. And mine seems to have something to do w/ the cold too. At the start of the winter is when it happened. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,395 Posts
92gt5spd said:
zz...i think he's having the same problem i am....My problem is the switch seems fine?
How do you know that your switch is fine? I took mine out and connected it to a VOM and exercised it. That and the switch is the first thing the factory service manual says to check. When I said to clean the switch, I mean to take it apart completely with a tiny screwdriver and degrease it and use a pencil eraser to clean off the tiny PC board in the switch then reassemble it and test it again. Most people would probably buy a new switch. Not that there aren't other problems that can happen like what if the grease in the tracks becomes too thick, etc.

·
Registered
911 Posts
phew! hostile....i know that if there's a loose connection on the battery that small contact can cause things not to work, but would that happen w/ the switch? If its dirty could it really cause my belt motor to just have barely enough juice to click and thats it? And the "switch" is it the one at the botom of the door frame? How is it removed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now fellas...I'm not here to start a fight! LOL It's definately acting like a switch gone bad. The belt is stuck in it's closed position now and seems to work a bit more often from the outside door handle, than the inside one. For now, I'll climb under it, but I'll check the switch when I get a free weekend to tear it apart.

FWIW, I hand an '88 1/2 EGT as well, my first new car...put 90,000 on it in less than 2 years!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
JH, stuck in the closed position is almost always the switch. It's designed so that even if it gets sticky, closing the door forces it (the switch) to open, which triggers the seatbelt to return to it's most useful position (the rear). The switch gets hung up and the spring can't return it to the closed position.

Miatas.. yes, I love outrunning those on the cone courses :twisted:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.