FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ZX2 35k original miles black auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to in depth repairs but this is my 1st ZX2 purchased with 35k miles on it sitting in an elder ladys garage a few months ago and today started it up and #3 cylinder dropped a valve. What a mess it caused, the search for a reman long block seems to be "the unobtainum" lol

·
Super Moderator
6,202 Posts
That's weird that it dropped a valve. Not a very common problem in the Zetec.

Reactions: Falconnest

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what I read around on many forum/sites & yt, cylinder head issues seem to be prone with this model. Know of any long block sellers in the states? Spartan & Dahmer power train inc dont have a great reputation from what I read

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
I bought two 2nd gen LX ecorts that had each dropped a valve seat. I took the engines apart, and rebuilt them. This involves taking each piston out to insure they were not damaged by the very hard fragments of the valve seat insert, and getting good used pistons from an engine I bought at a JY; the best $200 I ever spent. I got the block honed, put new rings on the pistons, new bearings on the crankshaft and con rods (everything was still standard sized) and new main seals. Also a rebuilt head of course. Both cars are still running and in common use years later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats my plan with this ZX2 is to keep it & repair it. Got too good of a deal on it to give up for its low miles & age. JY's have a few here but all in the 250K++ mile ranges with unknown conditions and they wont allow me to pull the heads before buying to see if its worthy lmao! Wish I could just re-sleeve #3 but I dont think that's even an option. Is there a specific head or valve seat that needs to be used or welded which it keeps from falling out? Never had this issue on iron v8 heads Ive rebuilt years ago

·
Super Moderator
6,202 Posts
The split port 2.0 in the sedan and wagon is known for that issue, but this is the first I've heard of it in a Zetec.

You should be able to find a decently low mileage engine on car-part.com hopefully.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’d check your timing belt first knowing it sat for so long wouldn’t be surprised if it cracked and broke. Assuming your just assuming and haven’t throughly inspected anything. Zx2=non interference engine btw

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what I was hoping for was a timing belt but after pulling the plugs and looking inside with a bore camera it was the worst feeling ever. That seat being made of hard metal sure ate up the cylinder. Few days of hunting the interwebs I've found a good block, 1 new piston, rings & pin, gasket kit, wp & tb No head gasket yet anywhere to be found. As for the cylinder head is there anything special I need to know of or have a machine shop do or weld in to make sure this does not happen again? Blown away by how rare this engine model is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts