FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car needs new Struts, It is a 95 LX with a 1.9L. I think its only on the drivers side in the front, Would it be best to put in both the fronts or maybe all four, and how much do the oem's cost if you guys know. What is involved in changing them. I have heard it is really easy, but i have never attmpted a job like this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well. IMHO its probably easier to replace all four at once. That way they wear at the same rate. Also it would be safer to have them all react the same way.

You have several options. One is to get some cheapy Monroe struts from your local place... but those will ride like grandpa's car.

If you want a performance replacement you can go with KYB GR-2s ($277.24 for a set), Tokico "Blue"s which have a lifetime warrenty for $360 (these will be the ones I put on the project car) or if you insist on not buying from me you can get the Tokico struts for the ZX2 S/R (I haven't found a supplier for them yet :(). They sell for about $160 for a set and are designed for a 1" lowered suspension. You will need to do a little minor grinding to get them to fit. I think its oemfordsource.com or oemfordparts.com to get those.

So it all depends on what you are looking for. The Zx2 S/R are a great buy if you don't mind them being designed for a 1" lower vehicle. If you want a lifetime warrenty the the Tokico Blues from me are a really good buy.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
egtdude said:
Well. IMHO its probably easier to replace all four at once. That way they wear at the same rate. Also it would be safer to have them all react the same way.

You have several options. One is to get some cheapy Monroe struts from your local place... but those will ride like grandpa's car.
I agree, go for all four. You can just do the fronts if you wish (always in pairs), but you'll have all the tools there you need to do it so for the little extra investment in time you can do the whole car faily easily. Just make sure you use a good high quality spring compressor.

When I did mine, I just went to Part Source and got the cheapest Heavy Duty struts they sold. At the time it was still my dad's car, so that was his idea. But given how bad I beat up the suspension in the car they're holding out real well. It's almost surprising. Not only that but they were dirt cheap. :)

My two cents.

Matt 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.