FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my struts over the weekend - went with the cheap solution, as well as what I could get locally pretty quickly. Picked up Gas Ryder struts, cheap I know, but the ride is comfortable and that's important being where I drive to work. Tough job I think. Using the strut compressor is supposed to be a dangerous job but I didn't have any troubles with it. My only problem came at the end - had to unhook the swaybar mounts so that the arms would lower enough to mount strut to spindle or whatever it's called. Once that was realized, came together quite well. I do have a recommendation - wear GLOVES! Very messy. Accumulated road debris and dust, whatnot makes for very filthy hands. The gloves will also protect your hands from what I did - nearly sever my right ring finger! I was tightening the strut mounts using a 14 MILLIMETER BOX END WRENCH (note to James92....), I was getting pretty tired by this point, so slipped with the wrench and drove my fingers into that lip where the fender bolts onto the body. Dunno about you all's cars but my fender lip sticks out about a quarter inch and went in to the bone on the ring finger and bled like a $&%^$.

Got an alignment the next day, shop told me I did a pretty good job getting it set back up right because they hardly had to do anything. I responded with "great, since you didn't really have to do anything, can I have my $70 back????" No deal....

Other news, the Pacesetter catback is crap. Please disregard my previous posts on this topic. I still say that the header is good. But that catback just simply sucks. Bought a Walker straight through muffler and took it to local shop - they put on a 2.25" catback with the new muffler and fixed me up a chromed 2.25" tip which matches the cut of the bumer perfectly. Nice tone, looks good. I have noticed that top end power is down somewhat. Not sure why. Piping is identical to Pacesetter version, only the mufler has changed - went from 2 1.75" tips to a single 2.25" tip. I guess the cross-section overall is less so is causing a restriction.

But bottom-line, NO MORE RATTLING AT IDLE! Nobody will walk behind my car anymore and ask what's wrong with it making that noise.

Dare I say it? I'm happy with the car. This will probably last a week until I think of something new to do.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
*writes note*
Note taken.

Congrats Zeemax. Even if you did nearly lose a finger, I know it feels good to drive your car now. :wink: That exhaust sounds like a nice setup. How does it compare in tone and volume to the pacesetter?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beaverboy said:
*writes note*
Note taken.

Congrats Zeemax. Even if you did nearly lose a finger, I know it feels good to drive your car now. :wink: That exhaust sounds like a nice setup. How does it compare in tone and volume to the pacesetter?
Tone is the same, but quieter. At full throttle, it's still loud, but has a nice warbling sound. Lately I've been coming into work early like around 3am. I park between my house and the neighbors so cranking with the old system caused it to be VERY loud, an echo chamber. New muffler is loud at crankup but settles down quickly with only a whooshing sound to show that it's idling.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Zeemax said:
I was tightening the strut mounts using a 14 MILLIMETER BOX END WRENCH (note to James92....), I was getting pretty tired by this point, so slipped with the wrench and drove my fingers into that lip where the fender bolts onto the body. Dunno about you all's cars but my fender lip sticks out about a quarter inch and went in to the bone on the ring finger and bled like a $&%^$.
Yeah yeah yeah...I need money before I can get tools, I'm sure we have a 14 mm wrench around here now that I think about it I did use a set my dad had before...stupid me. :evil: and i have a computer and insurance payment to make...sorry to hear you about decapitated your finger. 8O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.