FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom is feeling awfully generous or something (probably because I'm heading off to Uni again and she won't see me for a while) and decided, since I don't have a job, to pay for my rent, insurance, and new tires. My plan was to get new wheels and tires all in one package, but I do need the tires so I'm guessing I can wait a while for the wheels, since the ones I want are white and probably wouldn't go with my current paint :) I want some hire rated tires definitely, but except for that, I'm pretty much in the dark as to what would be good.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Where are you going to Uni? What kind of weather you going to drive in?

What size wheels do you have? Do you care more about a tire being quiet and comfortable, or being grippy and precise? How long do you need the tires to last you?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Washington State University. The weather over there is usually hot during this time of year up until winter. I have studs already so that isn't a problem. If I have to sacrifice quietness for better performance, it's not that big of a deal to me :) I would like them to last for a while. I don't really know what the life span on normal tires is though. My wheels are the stock gt wheels as seen in my sig :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Sorry, Monk. I can't see your sig.. I get red Xs.

Alright so you've got 15" wheels, would like some grip and you don't need to worry about running them in winter because you've got some winter tires.. good man.

You can go for 205/55/15 tires and your outer diameter should only increase by 3mm. The 205's should look nice on your rims and fill out the fenders well, not to mention, putting a wider footprint on the road.

High Performance Summer Tires

Sumitomo HTR 200 - $48 from Tirerack
A friend of mine runs these on his racecar when he drives on the street (on 13" wheels) and swaps them out for 15" Victoracers at the track. He's happy with them, but has a hard time giving an unbiased oppinion about performance after driving on Victoracers. I've heard from several others that this tire is superb for the price.

Pirelli P6000 - $71 from Tirerack
Great tread design, but rated lower than the Sumitomos for grip and noise.

High Performance All-Season Tires

Continental ContiExtreme Contact - $63 from Tirerack
Rated very highly in all categories; looks like a good rain tire.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 - $112 from Tirerack
The single worst tire purchase you could ever make. These are standard on Subarus and Nissans, and everybody hates them (myself included).

-----

I reccomend ordering from Tire-Rack, and then calling around and finding a shop that will do the balancing and mounting for a reasonable price. (or your favorite shop) I've had several good experiences doing this myself.

The HTR 200s are probably your best bet since you already have some winter rubber. I run some Sumitomo tires on my 16" wheels, and have been VERY impressed with their quality and grip.

Hope that helps a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts