FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After repairing the last problem I posted about and weeks working on it myself and then my mechanic, comes a new problem. I heard it rev beautifully and so I started pouring coolant in the radiator. It started coming out from the back of the engine. I got under the car to find a hole in one of the two metal engine plugs(right side). I can't believe I still will not be able to drive this car. I bought it used AS-IS and have had to replace the COMPUTER, FUEL PUMP, REMOVE & REPAIR CYLINDER HEAD and now this! I did the head work myself and will not be using the mechanic on this either. He told me they sell hard rubber plugs to replace this one since it's almost impossible to replace them with the metal ones without removing the engine or at least many, many components. He recommended just pushing the old plug into the engine if I can't extract the old one and replacing with the rubber ones. He said he has done it many times. I once had it replaced with the metal ones but it was on an 84 Camaro back in 1988. However, that car had more room to work with in that area. Just telling my story here and hearing opinions.

·
Registered
899 Posts
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO do not push the plug into the engine. it can possibly plug up a coolant passage, and then you will have to take the whole engine out. your talking about a little 4 cylinder engine this, of course should not be done on any engine. just find a way to carfuly pull it out. it you can get access to a lift the job is pretty easy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your opinion ChadGore. However, it seems my mechanic has doen this several times in the many, many years he's worked on cars. I don't doubt what you're saying. Blocking a coolant/antifreeze passage is a possibility. However, it sounds highly unlikely. Don't worry, I was already planning on trying my darndest to take it out instead of pushing it in. I also don't feel comfortable about pushing it in. However, I will risk it and leave it in rather than finding or renting a lift and more work and frustration. My mechanic speaks from experience with having done this many times where I imagine you have maybe one example of it blocking the coolant passages. Once again, I appreciate your input and welcome more from you and anyone else.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Discount Auto Parts sells a Freeze Plug Puller for $10. That should work fine and will not have to push it in. It seems it may not be in the stores stocked so I will have to order it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the Discount Auto Parts puller would take 13 days to arrive. I had to search all over the web for 2 days for something faster. I finally found that Snap-On sells one online for $15.55 plus shipping. I spent the next half a day tracking down Snap-On truck drivers here in town. Each one said they did not have it in stock in their truck. There was nowhere to buy it at a store. I kept asking each one to recommend another. On the twelfth one I finally found the tool. What a God-send that tool was. I pulled it out and didn't have to push and leave the old one in. I bought the rubber expanding type plug and it worked perfectly! I then encountered yet another problem but it was corrected with a new copper washer in the tranny coolant line where it meets the radiator at the top. Finally I am driving this car after buying it a month and a half ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts