1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Sweet. Metal filters are awesome. A friend of mine is using a $10,000 metal mesh micron filter (used, and aquired without pay*) from an industrial machine on his racecar. :wink:

* not stolen

·
Registered
296 Posts
Now James, haven't I said before how much Corksport sucks?
2 weeks plus to deliver gauges?
Did you call them and verify that the gauges were in stock and ready to ship?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you did, and no I didn't. I did however receive my brushed aluminum gauge bezel in under a week.

It'll get here when it get's here, if it takes another full week then I'll be calling.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably so Nasty Nate...but do they have the same filter? i've never seen a stainless-mesh filter in Autozone around here.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, once Roboskittle gets back I have more good news for all you avid fans of the Cavalier Killer. :wink: I purchased a turbo (as you've probably already seen it's sold) I bought it. 8) He sent me some pictures and it looked absolutely awesome. $100/shipping is a good deal. This Friday hopefully the deal will be final and a money order will be on the way to AR.

Check it all out at http://www.cardomain.com/id/sleepergtx

New Intake, new gauges, new bezel, (and cover), new shift boot/knob, new turbo, and hopefully a 2.25" cat back from bareend.com!

*starts to drool all over himself* :D :D :D

Now I have a few questions....

1) Do you think it will bolt up to the GTX turbo header?

2) What type of waste gate will fit on it? should I look for one that came off the same model car as the turbo?

3) I know I need all the necessary piping, 1st gen non turbo RX7 fuel injectors & some sort of Ignition controller...MSD Ignition any good? (any personal experiences??)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
1. No The turbo header will end with the turbo.. from there you'll need to get a custom downpipe bent to run to a flex pipe underneath the car. don't forget to wrap the pipe with heat resistant tape), and from there Bare End should be able to help you out. You may want to consider more than the 2.25" pipe though... turbos like lots and lots of flow for fast spooling.. there's not really much "tuning" to be done with turbo exhaust.. just make it free flowing. Same goes for the intake up to the compressor.

2. Are you sure it doesn't already has an integrated wastegate? The boost control diaphram attached to the compressor would suggest that it does.

3. MSD and Jacobs both make good ignition controllers. They both have good websites detailing their separate features. Decide what you want to do with this engine once you have it on the road and then decide what features you need.

PS: Where did you get bronze shifter bushings for $5? I don't feel like paying $30 for them.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. What I meant was will the turbo bolt right up to the header? i know I'll have to replace the downpipe from there & flex pipe going into the cat converter. From there I just want the 2.25" exhaust system. Right now, if I can get this on my car easily, I'll only push about 5-7 PSI to play it safe and half a little extra fun on the freeway at the same time. So absolute free flowing exhaust isn't a must...unless I get antsy and decide to go all out (which I might, but I doubt it). I was thinking about tryin to find a free flow or straight through cat...something like that. Any tips for that btw? When I get my NEW engine rebuilt and turbocharged, THEN I will try for the 2.5" or 3.0" inch exhaust system, whichever Matt decides to develop (there's two systems for me Matt...*hint hint*) :D

2. I don't know..the wastegate might be on it. I'm not sure...we'll see I guess. Good thinking Beav. :wink:

3. I'm leaning towards MSD because I've heard absolutely NOTHING but good things about this company. But if someone could kindly give me the URL to Jacobs (not sure i wanna go searching at this time), I'll check them out and compare before making any final decisions.

PS... Someone didn't want them and sold them to me, I looked em up on Corksport at the time for 30...so I jumped on them. :D :p :wink:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Well..., damn you, for stealing a good buy I could have made (shifter bushings) :p Install them quick, before I convince you to sell them to me for a profit.

http://www.jacobselectronics.com

My friend, with the BMW racecar that I keep talking about, swears by Jacobs stuff. I'm still undecided.

For us 1.9L folk, the MSD DIS ignition control is about our only option for serious ignition control upgrades (short of an entirely new engine management system). For you 1.8L distributor folks, you can hook up just about any hot coil with just about any kind of ignition control that you want, just as long as it will fit under the hood.

Tip: Be sure that distributor caps and rotors use real brass contacts whenever you're using a high powered coil. Those aluminized contacts will melt under the high voltage. NAPA's stuff is usually solid brass.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Beav, you've been a big help. It turns out that round thing on the side of the turbo IS in fact the wastegate. so i'm set there. Justin is sourcing me with tons of parts like rx7 injectors and maybe, maybe an intercooler. then all I need to do is get a fuel pump and an ignition control module. Anything else that I'm forgetting??? :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts