FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why not take the spring off the strut(theres probably trial and error involvedin this whole idea)cut some length off of the strut where its threaded, re thread it, compress your springs and put it back together, that should give you a stiffer springrate and lower it a bit for better cornering.....any input on this will help ive been wanting to try this but dont have the spare parts to mess arounjd with so let me know

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
That is a bad and dangerous idea! The weight of the vehicle is supposed to compress the springs, not the strut. If you shorten it enough to actually lower the car then you WILL go airborne off bumps because the suspension can't decompress and compensate for them.

· Registered
5,229 Posts
+1, not only if you succeed, the struts would want to pull themselves apart with hard rebounds. I would rec. some lowering springs and some quality struts to do proper and satisfying build. I have done several suspension upgrades and like every bit of it.

· Registered
44 Posts
+1 for hang time. You have to gain a better understanding of how the individual parts work as well as the system in order to make a modification. The design of the strut allows full range only when the shaft is proper length.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
LOWETGT said:
+1, not only if you succeed, the struts would want to pull themselves apart with hard rebounds. I would rec. some lowering springs and some quality struts to do proper and satisfying build. I have done several suspension upgrades and like every bit of it.
i was thinkin the same thing before i read urs. and like i was told, get zx2 struts first, then adjustable coil overs.

· Registered
552 Posts
One should add that shortening your strut wouldnt change your rebound rate anyways. The length of your strut wont change anything, the only reason people on here buy a shorter length strut is because they have lowering springs and dont want to bottom out their strut. Of course, if you do have to short of a strut, like it has been said before, you will pull the shaft out to far and ruin the seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.