FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on the task of replacing my water pump today. Only problem is that once I got it all apart and the pump off, it would fit out of the engine compartment. I have a '91 EGT with a/c. Right now, the problem is that I can't fit it out the bottom, and an a/c line blocks me from getting it out the top. I have been spinning it round and round for about the last 1.5 hrs and am stuck. The car is all in pieces and I really need help.

On another note. I was finding Top Dead Center and noticed that the rotor in the distributor was not lining up with the #1 point or exactly opposite. This was before I took the timing belt off. It looks like the cam pulleys are not in the right spot, but I would need to put tension on them before slipping the timing belt back on to get them to line up right. At least the was the Haynes book looks. Does this seem right? The car was running a little rough at idle, kind of spitting and sputtering. Would this have caused that? Or should it have been worse?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the pump out and the new one back in guys. Unbolted a couple of mounts for a/c and pwr steering lines. It gave me a little more wiggle room (very little), but enough. I still have to put the timing belt back on tomorrow, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i remember my timing belt replacement... i had to drill a 2" hole in the inner fender wall so i could loosen some pulley to get the belt on. not fun...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
yeah I'm planning on replacing the timing belt next week, and I may end up just pulling out the engine completely to work on it, and taking out all the AC lines and the compressor while I'm at it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I already had them, but after pulling them off, the alternator belt is in really bad shape. No sense in scraping up my hands in such tight quarters a second time. Just still need to get the timing belt on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, everything is back together, but OH MY GOD. I hope that is just because it is wet outside and I flushed the radiator making the engine very wet, but otherwise it didn't come out like Haynes said it should. I got the timing belt on and everything lined up the way the Haynes showed, but it barely runs. Sounds like a lawn mower idling and no power. Any thoughts by anyone?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
if you took hoses off the valve cover, etc, and forgot to put them back on, chances are it will do something like this...

I worked on my intake and forgot to plug in the VAF. It idled horribly and I was like WTF... then I plugged it back in and marveled at my stupidity :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to check into that, but I only took one hose off, and I pretty sure I put it back on. It was on the driver's side rear of the valve cover. I may need to double check the air filter box hoses. I took a few things apart there to make getting at the distributor easier. Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's a bit since the last post, but things seem to have worked out. The belt ended up being on correctly, but the timing may have been off and the plugs wet. At one point, I rechecked all the plugs and two had water sitting in the hole. It still ran the same after checking them so I checked that there was still stark at all four. Yep, that checked out. I ended up pulling each wire individually to see if there was a problem with one of the cylinders. This revealed that the number 3 was not making a difference whether the wire was on or not. I ended up swapping plugs between #2 & 3 to see if it was the plug and to see if the problem moved to the next hole. Low and behold, it all cleared up. Engine now runs great and has great power. I didn't know how zippy the GT really was. Of course, this brought up another problem that had to be fixed. Two coolant lines were leaking, probably because of the new water pump actually moving coolant. It took a while (and of course a lot of scaped up hands), but now it is road worthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts