FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be impossible, but is there any way to get more low end torque out of a 1.8? I have an automatic, and from idle to 3000 rpm its really slow. I plan on putting a cold air intake and a better flowing exhaust, but I feel this will only help me in the upper range. Will any mods help botom end?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try advancing your ignition timing - there's a howto in the forums here.

16 degrees BTDC seems to be the magic number, although you may need to run premium fuel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of 4 cylinders. If you want low end grunt, get a V8 or a straight 6. Even better yet, go Diesel. Gotta love 400+ lb feet of torque at 1100 RPM.

Seriously, there is nothing that I can think of that will add more torque at low RPM's.

Tom

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Caymen said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of 4 cylinders. If you want low end grunt, get a V8 or a straight 6. Even better yet, go Diesel. Gotta love 400+ lb feet of torque at 1100 RPM.

Seriously, there is nothing that I can think of that will add more torque at low RPM's.

Tom
Nitrous Oxide

Get a system that sprays from 2000 to 3500 rpm and upgrade your fuel system to do it. Make sure you're able to adjust your timing too so you don't blow your engine. You could have the torque curve characteristics of a Chevy 350. :p

Or you could get a semi straight six turbocharged, 1000 hp at 1500 rpms, of course you'd have to shift 10 times to get up to 65 mph :lol:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You've got an automatic.. why worry about low end torque? Get a torque converter that has a high stall speed and forget about the low end all together.

The great thing about a torque converter is that it can take an engine's torque and multiply it. That's one of the reasons all the Army's Humvees are automatics.. they can tow more with the same given torque than a manual tranny can (that, and any soldier can drive one if need be)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Caymen said:

Tom
Well, I think thats half the problem. My other car is a TPI Formula and I'm used to off the line torque. In all fairness though, my girlfriends 100 hp Saturn SL1 automatic has better pickup to 30mph that the Scort.

I wish I could have gotten the 5spd, but my car was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Now I feel like a slug.

So other than a torque converter which I cant afford, and a timing bump, there are no ways to get more scat out of the scort?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You need to decide at what expense you want the performance improvement. If you want to improve performance on a budget of little to no money at all, your wasting your time. This is true with any car. You can get small gains here and there with simple adjustments or cheap mods, but those will only take you so far. Small displacements engines need big modifications to make good sized amounts of power improvements. Increasing the displacement will give torque improvements as well as forced induction and nitrous, but the bottom line is, the engine will always perform best at higher RPMs. Its an engine designed for fuel economy, not power. Small engines that turn higher RPMs run warmer and burn fuel more efficiently than bigger, more powerful engines, thats why they put them in smaller cars.
Lose some weight on the car, perform the mods the guys are talking about and enjoy what you have, or save some money and rebuild the engine, do so some port and flow work to the head and intake tract and upgrade the exhaust to match. I dunno what else to tell ya. Displacement rules when it comes to getting more power cheaper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts