FEOA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some SERIOUS help people. Okay here´s what happened. Took my scort down to Phoenix yesterday to go to the track. The drive is like 100 miles away. I went down earlier then my club so I could swing by the performance shops.

Well all the way down the state, I was babying the car because it was the first time I had driven it that far with a few lbs of boost, and my EGT´s were running REALLY high. I couldn´t hear because the girl with me had the music up too loud, but I thought I could hear it detonating. But everytime I turned the music down to listen she would turn it up.

So once we got to the closest shop, I thought hey, good place to let the motor cool and a place to check out (Versus on Thomas @ 17 for the Phx folks). Well the car was idling and then the Rev went CRAZY! Like it would hit almost 4k then back to 1.2k then back up over 3k etc.

I freaked and shut the car off. We went inside when I came back out like 5mins later the car wouldn´t start. My friend Brian and I tore the WHOLE thing apart. We checked everything from usual electrical, to distributer, cap, rotor, wires, coil, ignition module, we checked, it has fuel, The timing is still set, everything visually looks good. No fluids leaking out the bottom. The only thing we can find is the coil isn´t putting out a spark. But we know the coil is good.

Okay, so after 7hours we got it started by totally reverting back to stock. No turbo, no MSD, no anything (I had my stock intake hose in the trunk). It started but as soon as it started it made this horrible clunking, tapping, I really dont know what to call it and no one else has an opinion on what it could be. I hear noise as if its coming from the back of the block, like behind Cylinder #1. It sounds to me like its coming from the intake manifold or just under the runner for cylinder#1. My friend things its coming from the intake valvetrain over Cylinder#1.

Now to top it off, once the motor runs for a few seconds and starts to warm, the rev goes nuts again.

If we shut it off once the motor is warm, It Wont Restart Again unless you wait like 4 hours.

Please, I have to pay to get the car towed the 100 miles up here today and its going to be KILLER Expensive. I could use as much Help as possible.

--Jason

Matt if your reading this, could you cruise by Versus Motorsports on Thomas just east of 17 in between the Jack in the Box and Arby´s to make sure my car doesn´t get ripped off. I know Glendale is a long drive but I would really appreciate it. Thanx

·
Registered
709 Posts
Okay, I would be tempted to check and see what your fuel system is doing at idle. It almost sounds like it is getting lean. By chance does there seem to be a big loss of power off the line? If you went back to stock ignition and no turbo, and the problem is still there, I want to go with a check of the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well here´s how I know its not fuel delivery (possibly mix, but not delivery).

We unhooked the fuel line to the FMU after the Rail and we could get fuel spewing out. I know its not the pump (although it could be weak), its not the rail or the lines. It could be the injectors misfiring though.

Just incase it was the fuel pressure that´s just not high enough, even though I´ve never heard of a fuel pump "going bad" for in tank electric pumps, I´ve just heard they die and that´s about it, we vice gripped the return line to artificially boost the fuel pressure to the motor, didn´t make a difference.

You asked about power off the line, ahh I couldn´t tell you we can barely get it to start, and when it does we have to shut it down before we can drive it. It happened when it was idling and cooling down, so the last time I drove it it ran fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you dont have factory cruise control do ya? my car used to rev on its own (and high too i would have to shut it off and turn it back on goin down the highway)whenever i pushed in the clutch (whether cruise was enabled or not) it never bothered it if the clutch was out, but once i pushed in the clutch it wailed like a banshee. so i stripped off all my cruise control stuff and bam went away never to be seen again

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone is interested I found the problem yesterday.

Okay the symptoms one more time:
*Would only start if it sat for a few hours.
*Would run only for a few seconds before the Rev went crazy.
*After shutting off when the rev went crazy wouldn´t restart because there was no spark, but ALL ignition components were working right.
*VERY loud tapping in what seemed to be the first runner of the intake manifold.

Here´s what was wrong:

We first found that the loud tapping was actually the #1 Injector going nuts.
Then we found that injectors #2 and #4 were stuck open dumping fuel WAY too much fuel into the cylinders. The question was WHY ?
come to find out my Heatercore had broke and coolant was leaking right into my ECU. My ECU was TOTALLY flooded! like underwater in coolant.
We tried to air it out and go, but the car started misfiring and running lean, yet fat. So, we ended up trailering all the way back up. It SUCKED!

In case anyone was curious as to what the problem was.

Now I need a new heatercore.
New ECU,
and New injectors.

Does anyone out there parting an EGT, can they sell me their ECU ? I have a 93 so any 91-94 will work...just have to be OBDI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts