FEOA Forums banner

NEED HELP: 90 1.9L timing belt

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Anomalous 
#1 ·
:?: Ok i just installed a new timing belt on my 90 Lx with 1.9L. wife was going to work yesterday am and she said it started losing power and jerked a little then died, well i thought timing belt had broke but it didn't, when i got it home i pulled timing cover off and belt was still intact but loose i checked all the bolts they were tight so i got the #1 cyl up tdc on compression stroke and checked timing marks seemed ok they aligned with crankshaft and cam shaft but i went ahead and installed new belt like the haynes manual said to do, after all was put back together i tried starting it but it did the same thing mtr turns over ok but acts like it jumped time sorta lopes when cranking engine, could cam have jumped time, its getting a good spark at all plugs, compression is good at all cyl's, check for fuel thats good too. any ideas on what the problem may be.

#2 ·
It sounds like your one tooth off. Pull the valve cover off and verify that when #1 piston is fully up the cam lobes are proportioned equally apart for cylinder #1. It might make more sense looking at it this way rather than just looking at the timing marks.

#3 ·
NEED HELP: 1.9L timing belt

Ignatz said:
It sounds like your one tooth off. Pull the valve cover off and verify that when #1 piston is fully up the cam lobes are proportioned equally apart for cylinder #1. It might make more sense looking at it this way rather than just looking at the timing marks.
ok i found a bad coil and ign module (replaced both) but it still won't start timing is dead on, like you said to check with valve cover off and cking valves for equally proportion, they are, pulled dist cap & roter rt on #1 wire, like before timing rt on marks,fuel psi ok getting fuel, spark, all fuses good dbl cked, compression good at all cyl's. is there anything else i should check?

#4 ·
make sure the wires are good, i have been hearing of alot of people i know gettign a bad wire in kits and causing problems. make sure allt the sensors and meters are okay also!

#6 ·

Ignatz said:
Spray carb cleaner in the throttle body while someones cranking it to see if it trys to fire. This will help to see if its a fuel or ignition problem.
Ok i tried carb cleaner in the throttle body but it didn't want to start, so im going to go buy a new comp gauge and test it again, im leaning now toward a bad head gasket but it doesn't have any coolant in crankcase, im at my wits end with this thing. thanks for your help but if theres something im forgetting to ck or do please let me know i appreciate the info. thanks again Hawk.

#7 ·

aliennation95gt said:
make sure the wires are good, i have been hearing of alot of people i know gettign a bad wire in kits and causing problems. make sure allt the sensors and meters are okay also!
i bought new wires,cap,rotor and plugs, tried carb cleaner in tbi but it just does the same thing , going to get new comp tester and re-test, im leaning toward bad head gasket but who knows, will let all know what i find asap. thanks for the info i appreciate it. hawk

#8 ·
Re: NEED HELP: 1.9L timing belt

nithawk57 said:
aliennation95gt said:
i bought new wires,cap,rotor and plugs, tried carb cleaner in tbi but it just does the same thing , going to get new comp tester and re-test, im leaning toward bad head gasket but who knows, will let all know what i find asap. thanks for the info i appreciate it. hawk
Ok i found the problem the compression is too low 95 on #1 and a little lower on the rest so im going to replace head gasket and have head rebuilt, appreciate all the help with this. thanks again Hawk

#9 ·
wow, that sucks...looks like you know your way around a motor...thats cool...i found the to be pretty easy...just be careful removing the starter braket...my friend, whom i was helping with his car, had a hard time getting the bolts off and the wrench slipped and lets just say he ended up getting stitches cause his hand came down on a sharp part of that braket...needless to say i had to do it must of been the way he way laying down cause i still cant figure out how he did it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.