FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers, but right now im realy lost on what to do. My hard drive stopped booting up, so i disconected it and hooked it up as a slave in my other computer. It showed up in Windows, but when i tried to acces it, windows said it was not formated. I'm not afraid to reintall windows on it, seeing that it only takes about 20 mins, but i have alot of files on there that i realy need. Is there a program out there that i can get for free or download off of kazza or maybe even pay for to recover some of the files? Thanx for any kind of help and sorry for the long message.

·
Registered
802 Posts
hahahah.. shit.. when u boot it up does it sound like it revs up and than clicks.. if so u got the same virus I got.. it wouldn't even reinstall.. it would stall on the windows install screen.. i had to get whole new HD all togetehr.. it was on warrent tho. :D.. but as for recovering items, i dunno.. maybe check around on a like techtv.com or stuff like that.. good luck

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, sounds like either a virus or your hard drive has completely failed. I'm guessing that you can't run scan disk on it (surface scan) since Windows says it's not formatted.

To answer your question, yes, there is software out there to recover data from it, as long as it's not completely shot. Also, if you do have a virus and you pull files from the HD, there is a wonderfully high risk of you infecting the clean drive.

Unless there are files you absolutely need on that drive, I'd say go ahead and try to format it, then update your antivirus software (you do have antivirus software, right???) and scan the old hard drive as well as the current running one (just to be safe).

Good luck, if you need any more help, feel free to ask. I know more about computers than I do cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The computer that i am going to copy it to is just pretty much a junk computer so if i take it out i don't realy care. The hard drive is still good though i know that much. It is most likely a Virus. I can thank my siblings for that one lol. Thanx for the help

·
Registered
618 Posts
No problem. Just see if you can scan the hard drive with your anti-virus software. If you don't have any, then I recommend you get some (I like Norton personally, but then again, it's free for me through work). If you can't get any right away, then go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp, that should help you out, or anyone who either doesn't have anti-virus or thinks that it's not doing the job right.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just to say, if you think that a virus can domage your computer like physically,... it's like impossible! It can stresse out some component of your computer but not like, paf broke!
What windows that you have?!
if you can buy a small other drive like 3,2 gig for 30 $, install windows, and run a antivirus on the other drive or burn some important files...

·
Registered
802 Posts
like like... :wink:

anyways.. i know the theory of a virus physically damaging something is slim, but the fact that I'VE had the very same problem, as well as a few classmates froms chool.. leads me to think otherwise.. isnt it possible for a virus to OVERwork a Harddrive causing it to burn itself out?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Is there any chance that the computer the drive came out of was running with Windows NT, 2000 or XP and the computer you put the drive into is running Windows 9x (95,98 or ME)? Windows 9x will not be able to read drives formatted in NTFS.

When you say it stopped booting up.. did it give you an error message? Was it a "system disk not found" error or just some blue screen during boot?

·
Registered
576 Posts
nukewater said:
like like... :wink:

anyways.. i know the theory of a virus physically damaging something is slim, but the fact that I'VE had the very same problem, as well as a few classmates froms chool.. leads me to think otherwise.. isnt it possible for a virus to OVERwork a Harddrive causing it to burn itself out?
Yes I know that I say a lot of "like" but,... it's was a little bit late and my native langage is french etc... :p like I said ;)

The only thing a virus can do to damage a hardware is to stress out that piece. Like :p taking you're car and shifting at 7000 rpm :p. But I will repeat myself, a virus cannot "burn" your harddrive. I've been in computer since my childhood. I've studied in computer up today (drop out of cegep) But I have 2 years of formation in computer.

And secundo, if you receive a msg from someone saying blablabla send that to 10 other people or you'll be blablabla, it's a HOAX!!! The only purpose of these email is the get a huge list of email from anyone around the world.

Always check the attachement of a email before opening, you can read an email without opening it's attachement and still not get any virus! I'll try to alert you if I heard of some new virus and all of that thing, new patch from micro$oft. :p

·
Registered
618 Posts
Actually, a virus can overspin your hard rive, past what it was meant to go, thereby throwing it out of whack and destroying it. While the chance of it happening and the viruses are rare, it could very well happen.

My background, since we're throwing it out there! :wink:

I've been working with computers since I was 11 years old, and have been a Computer Programmer for the USAF for over four years.

Anyway, Beaverboy brings up a good point, if the drive is NTFS, then Win95, 98, and ME (<===sucks), will not be able to read it without special drivers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok here are the steps I recommend you to do, I think something may have wiped out your MBR (master boot record) causing your partition not to be seen.

When you say it wasn't booting up what was the message? Was it a S.M.A.R.T message?

- Test the hardware (Go to the brand's website and get the hard drive testing utility)

It will create you a bootable disk to test your harddrive (20-30 min, make sure to do the full test)

After that we will go from there...

Also, I've seen weird cases at work where we had to put the hard drive jumper on cable select in order to work properly.

If you want to back up your stuff I have a program on my home pc that I can send you...

·
Registered
911 Posts
SyStEmDw said:
Just to say, if you think that a virus can domage your computer like physically,... it's like impossible! It can stresse out some component of your computer but not like, paf broke!
What windows that you have?!
if you can buy a small other drive like 3,2 gig for 30 $, install windows, and run a antivirus on the other drive or burn some important files...
THAT STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY WRONG...
GRR...it pisses me off when ppl like you do not know their shit and then post about how much they know. OBVIOUSLY YOU arent a computer guru and therefore you shouldnt go around giving advice to anyone about computers

THERE ARE LOTS of viruses that infect your firmware on your harddrives to change how they are read...how they write...EVEN the size and or name of the harddrive. This can cause motors to burn out on cheap drives. Not common, but still possible. Now, it cannot change your hard drive to sector 0 because there are safety measure built in to the harddrive to prevent this.

ALSO....there are viruses that when downloaded, store themselves in bootsectors and memory and cause a BIOS(which is the boot program your computer uses to boot AND CONTROL THE EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR COMPUTER'S INTERNALS) flash to tell the processor to work at a voltage which is too much for your processor to handle. Most antivirus software ppl say that it cant be done...But it has been done and can be done. The reason that they tell people this is because people are naive. They think that just because there are viruses out there like that, that they will get it.
1) causing naive people to stop buying computers
2) causing people to stop using the internet.
Most bios viruses just either erase the bios or corrupt the bios. Some chips can be destroyed, others remedy this by getting the bios reflashed w/ the correct program.

Think of it this way. If you can go into your bios like my Aopen server board and change the clock speed over the limit that the frontside bus cannot handle...then why cant a program take those steps to change it for you? Afterall, a virus is just a program...

My friend and I used to trade those sorts of viruses back and forth and see if we could detect and delete them in time before they performed their job.

So as to viruses destroying things physically...IT IS possible....If you would like, i could send you one and demonstrate it. Just think a lil and do your research before you tell someone else something that knows a lil less than you. Afterall, if he got a virus like that and it messed up his hardware, would you want him coming back to you w/ his fist saying, "gee thanks for your advice".

·
Registered
911 Posts
just a quick note. a sure fire way to destory a motherboard right quick...is to find/create a virus that changes the frontside bus clock speed to an insane value like 2ghz. Like i said, i had that Aopen server board which had a BIOS adjustable frontside bus clock speed all the way up to 800mhz. I had a PIII 733 at the time running on 100mhz frontside clock speed. I wanted to overclock up over a gig...so i changed the frontside clock speed to somewhere round 500mhz. Well, technically it did send the cpu clock well over 1gig...but that was only for a few seconds...Then motherboard broke. The reason being is because too high of a frontside clock speed creates too much heat. Which too much heat causes breakdown of electrical components. My frontside chip actually popped because it took too much. Also, adjusting the frontside bus can change the clock speed of your ram too. That also can damage ram chips if they cant handle the speed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, that's possible, but it's not destroying component in your computer, it's to stress out the component. You make a piece go faster then she supposed to go. If a person say to you, I will put fire in your computer, just laugh at him because it's impossible! A virus isn't a program that run when the computer start, it start just when Windows start. It have a code somewhere that make it load. But, program that controle the FSB is store in the BIOS and it's almost impossible the program something to go there. Maybe someone will be able a day but not the everyday hacker!

·
Registered
480 Posts
hey 95gt5spd, dont you think you where a little bit hard on him. Advice is advice... he still tried to help the guy.

Oh and for the bios thing, most major companies will disable bios update to prevent that type of thing (Virus or noob).

What ever happened with his pc?

·
Registered
576 Posts
hey 95gt5spd, dont you think you where a little bit hard on him. Advice is advice... he still tried to help the guy.
I didn't even notice him :p Bah, anyway, just to respond to him, it's maybe that explain very bad in english since my native langage is french and I don't really speak a lot in english since 2-3 years. And just to say that I was in college in computer science for about 2 years and It will be my 4 years of help on mirc with computer trouble on a serious channel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.