FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nasty problem with my clutch. I'll explain the symptoms as best i can and if any one can shed any light on the problem it would be appriciated.

When i got the car About a year ago the clutch was perfect. It would catch so hard i could peel out at 2nd gear anytime i wanted. About a month after i had the car, the clutch wore out and no gears would engadge. I had the cheapest clutch kit at the local NAPA put in. It worked o.k. for a shitty quality clutch. However the clutch engaged/disengaged within the first few inches of the throw. ALso very spongy. As a result it was easy to slip the clutch when racing. I would start of the tree but over-rev and slip the clutch because it didn't engage untill the top of the throw.
I got usesd to it and did starts by bringing the the clutch up until it started to engadge before taking off. Now just a few days ago the clutch moved to the bottom of the throw. It engages just the same way but the bottom of the throw is on the floor. I have to push the pedal into the floor at stop lights to stay out of gear. I bothers me that if it were to drop any more i could not disengage the clutch.

There is a spring a the pivot point of the clutch pedal that i notice was broken. I think this explains the spongy pedal but not the nasty throw of two inches.
I was thinking I'd bleed the clutch/brake hydraulic system untill there is all new fluid in it. Its a place to start anyway. Just wondering if anyone could proviude some insight. All help is appriciated.

thanks
Dave
91EGT
67' Cougar- 302- I hope to have it ready for the summer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i saw corksport had a ss braided line BUT the line to the slave cylnder is already a sterel brake line. I do not see how this would be and improvement whatsoever. It does not need to flex so why have a braided line?
Anyway, I'm driving the car as little as possible now. At stops it is difficult to get it back in gear. And when it does it makes that nasty transmissin *CLUNK*.

I do not think that the disc is worn to bad because that would cause it to not engage. I have yet to bleed the system because i've been super busy with work/school. Old fluid is the #1 culprit right now. The clutch gets worse the more it warms up. Thats kinda pointing to fluid because hot fluid won't transmit the hydraulic force as well. + if the fluid has absorbed enough water it makes it super crappy.

Dave
91egt
67 cougar 302

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.