FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Byron Dragway in Byron, IL today. I got 4 runs before breaking a driver's side axle, and I didn't bring a spare along :(

Here's a scan of my timeslips. I'm car # 60. Click to enlarge:

The Last two runs were with some bald FAlken Azenis at 28psi hot. My very first run, i had a 3+ second 60', because i was doing nothing but spinning with 45psi in my regular street tires. (i just wanted to see what would happen) I did end up getting a 97mph trap speed on my first run, though, and I flew by an accord who thought he had it locked up. I ended up beating him by more than a second. What's really demoralizing is when they put you right next to a guy whose tires are as tall as your hood, and does wheelstands through 3rd gear. we had one guy at the track do a 7.84 second pass, 186+ mph.. friggin' fast as snot!!!

It was a fun day, but now I've got to fix an axle (after I already broke one last sunday taking off from a stop sign :( ) good thing they've got warrantees.!

--sarge

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Re: My first time ever at a dragstrip! fun and broken parts!

SgtRauksauff said:
My first run, i had a 3+ second 60', because i was doing nothing but spinning with 45psi in my regular street tires. (i just wanted to see what would happen)
--sarge
Were you trying to duplicate my 18.9 @ 60mph smoking the tires all the way down the track?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol!! no, I just wanted to get a feel for how much of a difference air pressure and tire type makes, so I basically drove in, unloaded my car, got teched, sat in line for 3 hours, and made a run. It was really wierd, the accord in the lane next to me had a .189 R/T and a 2.479 60' time, but by the time we reached the 1/8 mile marker, I was already ahead of him. It was a good feeling just whizzing by him like a breeze.

it was definitely a good time. I can't wait until spring, after i spend a little time in the garage over winter.... :)

oh, the track scale said that my car was 2680 with me in the car, but I've also been told that that scale is a little off sometimes. so I need to get to a Cat certified scale at a truck stop one of these days...

--sarge

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Sounds like you could use some beefier axles there Sarge. I wonder how Mr. Accord owner felt after you flew by him. 8)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence at all, but he basically headed directly out the gates and never came back.... :)

--sarge

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
SgtRauksauff said:
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence at all, but he basically headed directly out the gates and never came back.... :)

--sarge
That'll teach him to race a Scort. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
nice to hear! one way of combatting the axel issue is to rev up a bit more and dumb the clutch more then lower rpm and possible bogging it. bogging makes for needed parts.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
465 Posts
awesome man!

how much boost are you running? what diameter exhaust/downpipe?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sarge, can you tell me how you have your turbo setup? im assuming its on the 1.9 lx motor? im gonna turbo mine soon, am doin the easy cheap way for now, with 6psi and an FMU and intercooler, but woudl love to know how you went about boosting so high, are you using a megasquirt? if not, what ar eyou using to manage fuel/timing and such?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Sarge is running a GTX. One of the few, if not the only GTX powered wagons in the US.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol!

Well, my FMIC and piping is custom-fabbed by GhettoSchtyle Inc. ;)

I'm currently using the stock GTX ECU, but I have a haltech that is going on soon, as well as nice mandrel-bent 2.25" tubing for the whole FMIC setup. Plus a N/A head, the CorkSport downpipe, and a couple other little goodies... :)

--sarge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts