FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a long post. Thanks for bearing with.

I was in my 96 LX 5-speed with 10700 miles on it today and it quit running. I backed out of my parking spot today and the car stalls out. I turn the key and the motor turns and tries to fire but will not start. I tow it to the shop and figure its a broken timing belt. Its not. I pull the belt and get the engine in time. Try to start it. Still doesn't want to start.
I checked the fuel pressure, timing (again), plugs, wires, oil, vaccum lines, air intake, and try to pull codes from the computer (No codes), all looks good. I try to start it again. It sputters,chugs and acts like 1 or 2 cylinders are dead and it now has a knock in the bottem end.

I figure its a rod bearing gone bad so I pull the oil but no metal shavings or chunks are found.

What do I do now? Is there a sensor I should check before I tear the motor down? I am thinking a crank sensor maybe. I have no basis for this conclusion but I am hoping someone here has an idea. I personally think that a rod knock showing up that quickly is kind of odd. Usually they give you a little warning before they go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try checking the plugs and the wires, see if they are good. Then do a compression test while you have the plugs out. If your compression test is bad then you might need to rebuild it. Then again these guys could be right too. I am in no way as far up to speed as most of these guys on the computer age cars. I am an old school car fan, but I am learning.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
A knock from the block is never good. There's not a whole lot of things that can happen to make that awful sound.

I have not had any experience with knocking in a car engine, but I have seen it a couple of times in marine engines. I would agree that if a bearing goes, you're going to get a bit of warning. However, if a rod has broken, you will get no warning. If a rod breaks, it's usually at high revs and that's the end of your block; in fact, parts of the rod can be forced right through the block. I can't understand how a rod would break at low revs, like your case, but anything is possible. If the end cap has somehow come off, you'll get a knock also, but I would expect warning for this too.

One way or another, do not run your car any more with a knock from within the block. Things will only get worse, if they aren't already unsalvageable. I'd rip it apart or simply do a swap.

I hope things work out.

Oh man, I just realized the original post is a few months old. What was the story in the end???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.