FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on what I should run in my manuel trans. It has 190,000 miles on it and looking for suggestions on fluid and if any additives also to run in it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
for a manual trans with that many miles I'd run a good 10W30 motor oil man! or the expensive pennzoil synchromesh, seems to work good in my trans, but a good 10W30 motor oil works good too, 5W30 if it was a younger trans but since it's got that many miles 10W30 should do real good for ya! and it's cheaper than ATF! or gear lube a good gear lube would be good but hard to shift in the winter!

up to you motor oil, synchromesh, gear lube, ATF, personally like I said 10W30 :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah we've been discussing the whole motor oil in a manual trans on many threads lately and the verdict is it's not a problem, a manual tranny has many parts and clearances like an engine, so engine oil does great!

it's up to you guys but next change I do, I'm using mobile clean 5000 10W30, which will be sometime next year, I'll tell you the results then, but unexplodedcow has had good results with motor oil as manual trans fluid, not speaking for you though cow man you tell em yourself :D :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'd do regular motor oil, it doesn't get heated up as much as engine oil so it won't break down as bad, you can do synthetic motor oil if you want.

I'd do like a 75W90 gear oil but if you live in a cold place it'll be HARD to shift on cold days till it warms up good.

up to you.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Penzoil syncromesh. or nothing else. If you have slight grinding problems syncromesh with handle it. You don't have to wait to drive in the winter with syncromesh. I will only put it in my trannys now. Its worth every penny of it

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah see I'm really pleased with my synchromesh, I had a 3rd gear grind in my junkyard trans, it's pretty well gone unless you absolutely SLAM into 3rd gear.

that makes sense about gear oil it's meant for older stuff, diffs, older trans like in my buddy's 77 camaro, oh that's a beast of a car.

if you run motor oil in the trans change it about every 12k miles like the haynes manual recommends, I change mine with all the city driving I do about every 10k miles. course I like to drive mine hard anyway so I take care of it so it takes care of me and don't dump me on the side of the road ha ha.

up to you what you use, synchromesh is worth the $$$ though, motor oil will work cheaper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i use synchromesh, it was only about $7 a quart. if i could have gotten my hands on redline MTL locally, i would have used it. ive heard very good things about it.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,068 Posts
^Most confused person in the world.

Did you skip the part where like 5 people use syncromesh and recommend it?

They are saying don't use motor oil or GL5 spec gear oil in your trans. The oil contains sulfur, not the trans. The trans contains brass which reacts with the surfer in the oil and corrodes. Supposedly this reaction only happens at temps over 260* though so technically it shouldn't be a problem but why chance it?

When I replaced my trans fluid I just used NAPA brand Dextron III/Mercon. It works fine. I may have to try the syncromesh at some point though.

In case you didn't know, a 75w/90 gear oil has about the same viscosity index as a 10w/40 motor oil. Keeping this in mind you can use motor oil in a transmission. Supposedly diesel oil is better for this. If you did want to try it you can get a gallon jug of Shell Rotella Synthetic in a 5W/40 weight for $19 at wally world. I may have to give it a shot in the engine some time. Supposedly alot of people have had good results using it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah exactly, I recommend synchromesh! never used MTL so idk I have heard is good! also just a good 10W30 motor oil works well but haven't personally tried it but in theory you're totally safe to use it! plus it's cheaper than anything you can put in there! change it more often to keep the trans happy and your pocket book happy, I'd change trans fluid in these manuals every 10k miles esp if you accidentally grind gears from time to time (not gonna mention any names) :p but it does happen.

yeah next change I'ma put mobile clean 5000 10W30 motor oil in and I'll let you all know the results, it'll take me a year or more to rack up 10k miles though, prolly more like 2 years ha ha! I don't drive much but when I do, I DO.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,068 Posts
If yours is a GT there may be a fill plug on the side of the trans facing the front of the car. You fill it until fluid comes out. If not then you will have to use the speedometer hole.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you can use 10W30 motor oil it lubricates the transmission just like an engine just no oil pump the gears throw it around and grab what they need. but make SURE you only use the motor oil in a MANUAL transmission, for an automatic still use ATF. but yes you can use motor oil and the haynes manual recommends changing the manual trans fluid every 12k miles so to be safe since my car is not in the best shape I change it every 10k miles. there's a 23mm drain plug in the bottom of the trans and the fill hole is on the side of the trans but I'm not sure where I haven't found the fill hole on my BP trans yet... so I use the speedo hole lol. once you break it free the first time it's fairly easy to get out just put a good penetrating lube on it to get it out and before you put it back in lube it up good!!! then it'll come out easy next time for you.

if you guys have questions about it feel free to PM me, and no I'm not a certified mechanic I just got at least somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing, I've done engine and transmission transplants and overhauled an engine 2 times so I got a fairly good idea of what I'm doing.

I run synchromesh in my transmission you can get it at autozone it's about 7 a quart and it works really good in the gear grinding BP trans. I had the 3rd gear grind moderately bad, now it's only when I SLAM into 3rd so I have had good results with synchromesh, if you're poor though like me motor oil works, I just treated my trans for once with the good stuff once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.