FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some seriously awesome news. Been working round the clock past several weeks, fixing up my house. The works. Fresh paint inside and out, replaced dormer windows (I have a modified Cape Cod with loft and a stone fireplace that rises to the ceiling). Refinished floors, fix this, upgrade that, etc etc. Put up house on the market on Friday. Saturday afernoon had a contract wanting to purchase the house for $4000 more than I am asking. How about that? Hot market - this person really wanted the house, even included an escalation clause in the event of other bids. Truly awesome. And she's financially golden and has already put down $5000 to hold the house.

But what's even better? My new house. We bid on a place and got word Sunday that the seller had accepted our offer, and she's paying almost all of the closing costs. This house is big. It's not but 1980 square feet but because it's a transitional, it gives the appearance and feel of being much bigger than it is. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Big private yard. New carpet and fresh paint inside and out. An attic that's big enough to convert into a rec room. The best part for my car hobby? It's got a 2 car insulated/powered garage with heat/ac ducts. No more having to hurry up because it's gonna rain, or getting dark out, or just too cold to work on the car....

We close on the 28th of May. I'm still pinching myself to make sure it's real. Here it is:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Damn. Nice house mang. Congrats on the offers.

You should see the apartment where I'm living right now. I dunno if anybody's ever been to Troy, NY, but I live in the slums. It's freakin awesome. So crazy ghetto. Crack, anyone?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yes, crack please.

Awesome Zeemax! Sounds like a dream come true. I just hope this doesn't mean you'll be rushing out to buy something prestigious to replace your little scort.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
zzyzzx said:
siragan said:
You should see the apartment where I'm living right now. I dunno if anybody's ever been to Troy, NY, but I live in the slums. It's freakin awesome.
Indeed.. try to get one w/ a Ghetto Bird overhead.. they make for some cool lighting effects.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
WOW man!!! this is your new house?

its sooo nice....and congrats with the dual garage lol....man...i wish i had 2 garages in my parents`s house ..well i just wish i had 1 single functional garage lol...right now it looks more like a dump or something like that lol..i can barely store my bike in there :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
WOW
i've got to say, that house is FREAKIN AWESOME
we have a 1.5 car garage (kind of odd, i know) but it's full of stuff, and there's really no room to work in it...... because it's FULL
i mean, we got all the essentials, bikes, one of the dirtbikes in there, and it's too full already. not to mention we just picked up 2 free project road bikes, we can't even fit those in there lol

i WISH we had a 2 car garage, but a 3 car would top them all (someday maybe, when i get my own house)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Electronikal said:
WOW man!!! this is your new house?
It will be on May 28th! Nice neighborhood too - in the close to an hour I spent checking it out, I only heard 2 cars go by. That's a far cry from my current place where it feels like we live on the highway. It's a residential street, but due to recent construction/development, the VA DOT linked 4 neighborhoods up with mine so now we get all their traffic. My agent remarked how he had to sit and sit and sit and wait for the cars to stop coming so he could back out of my drive.

I'm stoked. Can't wait.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Zeemax said:
My agent remarked how he had to sit and sit and sit and wait for the cars to stop coming so he could back out of my drive.
that's how it normally is on my street, i live on a main city street. but now that they're tearing it up, and i live like 3 houses away from the stoplight, with everybody getting out of ford (i live like, right on top of a whole ford grounds/small city, and i'm about maybe 1/2 mile away from the proving grounds) they all go through the red lights, i believe i sat in my driveway for a solid 5 minutes trying to back out and get on my way last friday

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah, nice house. 8) Looks like most of the houses around where I live. (Not mine. :) Mine's small. 3 bedroom, 1 car garage. Fenced in carport-like place that's full of a 22' Catalina. Motorboat in the backyard... No place for cars. :( Good luck with it. Remember to uh... What's the thing you do on a house warming? Break out the champaign or whatever?

·
Registered
218 Posts
siragan said:
Damn. Nice house mang. Congrats on the offers.

You should see the apartment where I'm living right now. I dunno if anybody's ever been to Troy, NY, but I live in the slums. It's freakin awesome. So crazy ghetto. Crack, anyone?
wheres troy? im near b-lo

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Troy's about 10 min from albany. Just get off of 87 south at exit 6/7, then take 7 east and you'll go right onto hoosick street.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd post a follow-up, we're still moving, just not to this house. Looking for something like it however.

House inspection was last night. Our inspector uncovered appx $11,000 in concealed damage which was cosmetically cleaned up to pass inspection. There was a LOT of water damage and rotten wood which had been 'fixed' by filling with caulk, smoothing over and painting on top of. Cosmetically, the house shined. But underneath is a failing rotted mess of a house. There were plumbing leaks throughout the house, and electrical overloads - all of which could not be seen by the average observer. Though we had the option of asking the seller to make repairs or to give us a check for the damage estimates, my realtor advised walking away from this one. I happen to agree. Shame really since it was a beautiful house. But I'll consider it the same as a supermodel - pretty on the outside, but a nasty attitude inside.

So bad news there. Good news is, the $290 I spent on the inspector was money well spent because it stopped me from buying a money pit. Let that be a lesson to all, don't skimp on the inspection! My case is a prime example of money put to good use.

We resume house hunting Friday for something along the same lines.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Such a shame about the house Zeemax - good luck with your search for a better one.

There's now a new law in the UK that sellers have to divulge all 'faults' otherwise the contract is null and void and all monies have to be repaid. O wish it had been in place when I bought mine - 108 years worth of trouble!!! :roll:

Penny :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
damn dude....sorry to hear that...twas a pretty nice house....hope you find a good one though...and yeah me and my wife are also looking for a house here in missouri....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts