FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes so some of you may remember some of my posts about a motor i picked up for 350 bucks... it was a 91 protege motor with 180 compression across the board. well after finally finding the time to drive 4 hours round trip to pick it up....

so today and tomorrow i took work off to change the motor out. i had the motor out really quickly, then i needed to run to a junk yard (right up the street... i love the shop im using :) ) anyway i got what i needed (or most of it at least looks like ill be going back tomorrow) and left. my cousin who just met up with me to help just happened to see a bp motor for 299 bucks with everything my motor had but it was spotless. i waited for the clerk to get free and asked about the compression. he said 185-200 :evil: NO WAY i told him... i paid 350 for mine and its obviously been sitting in the rain for a couple years and its got 180 in all cylinders. well anyway i payed for what i got (i was not going to make another 4 hour trip just for the 50 dollars in gas i would spend in a 15 passanger van for a cleaner motor and only slightly better) well we got back to the shop and while i worked on cleaning my engine compartment my cousin started trading parts from the old motor to the new. i cannot remember why but he threw a breaker bar on the crank and it spun about a 1/4 turn and hit somethin like metal on metal.

my cousin was sure that it was just a timing issue... but if it was just a timing issue how in the hell could they compression test it if the cylinders would not compress? well anyway tomorrow im going to call up b&r and yell at them for the 8 hours of driving they have made me do and return the motor probably sunday. basically i think i could get it to work but i dont have the time to dick with it and they told me it worked... and it doesnt also it says on my recepit if i took it apart that the warantee would be void so f that im not touchin it, its their problem and i want my money back. then go to u-pull-it and pick the gt motor up. only problem with this is i will not be left with the protege valve cover :cry: . all i can say is i sure hope tomorrow goes better than today.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok update... i went and picked the motor up... i am pretty sure it was out of a WELL maintained car. like i said it was spotless green antifreeze poured out when i tipped it and there were motorcraft plugs in it, i mean other than the 185-200 compression on a 11 year old motor i can assume it was well taken care of.

I put the motor in and got everything connected. started first try with no problem. runs like a champ... well actually a lawn mower, seems a spark plug wire has gone bad so im down a cylinder. its all good though im happy to be done with that

now to the b&r motor... this may end up being a small claims court issue. the guy who sold it to me just got mad at me and told me i should have called, he would have told me to put some atf in the cylinders and it would have worked just fine. and i didnt for 2 reasons

1: i had 2 days and only 2 days to get my car done and out of the shop i was using. i didnt have time to mess with the motor they said ran like a champ, especially when i just happened to find a better deal with the motor that is in.

2: wtf man runs like a champ? when i have to break it loose. and not just that like kinda stiff break loose but more of a clunk metal on metal break loose. when the motor i picked up was how that one SHOULD have been.

basically they are going to let me "return" it so i am charged a 20% restocking fee for jack sh*t (70 bucks) when they pick it up and put it on a shelf with a lift and never touch it by hand... thats not worth 70 bucks. given the return policy states a 20% restocking fee on returns this is a warantee issue and no way in hell am i giving them 70 bucks for a p-o-s motor that i had to drive 8 hours for. so i am going to see how it goes then take em to court... possibly... im going to get an expert opinion by stopping at a couple local shops and get some names and numbers of mechanics that i talked to so if b&r want to be pricks ill have all the more proof the motor is crap

1 - 3 of 3 Posts