FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last several times I've removed my distributor cap, I've noticed up to a teaspoon or so of motor oil inside. I assume a seal around the shaft is leaking for that to be getting in there? The oil doesn't seem to be causing any problem with the rotor or contacts so far.

I'd say the wear pattern on the rotor button doesn't look abnormal, and, when I move the shaft from side to side with my hand, there doesn't seem to be any side to side free play. I think there's some end play but when I pull on the shaft, it seems to spring back into place, and the end play is not much and performance doesn't seem to be a problem.

Will

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had the same issue. But I had so much oil that the car wouldn't run right. I swapped the distributor with another. I didn't see anything abnormal about the old one either. I take that back, there was a slight egg on the rotor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. So, I should start thinking about replacing the distributor. One thing good though is that this tells me that my oil pressure is still pretty good probably, hehe.

Actually, maybe the problem is the cheap oil filter I put on last time. Maybe if I put a better filter on, the pressure won't be as much. Or, use a better grade of oil.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Oil isn't pressurized around the distro..it's more like a gravity feed. The O-ring around the base is to keep oil from leaking out the end of the head. If he's got oil in the distro cap that's a definite wear issue. The oil may be keeping his shaft from wobbling. Also, the normal pull-out and spring back issue mentioned is normal. One thing that I've noticed causes accelerated wear on the distro shaft is a missing drive tang spring. All it does is keep the tang in place in the cam slot, so there's no jolting (which wears out the brass oillite busshings quickly). I'll try to find an exploded view and post up here.

If you end up replacing it, I suggest the early model screw on type of rotor...used for '83 and out EFI/CFI engines. It's a little heavier, but much more precise. I'm using one from an '83 on my car and I can confirm that it's better than the slip on type of rotor..I've tried two slip on types, and neither was as good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts