FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the 91 GT... AGAIN. Put on another new alternator belt... new alternator. Figured out that the last belt burned up because it was loose, but still no idea what happened to the original belt. The new belt and alternator are running fine for about 4 days, and then I notice my headlights dimming and Im losing power, but no charge light comes on. I pull over and pop the hood and the belt is REALLY loose and twiseted. I try to start the engine but theres not enough juice. I look at the alternator and it is pushed back as far as it can possibly go on the mounting bracket, so it didn't come loose, but somehow the belt got loose and then twisted... maybe it stretched? What I mean by twisted is the v part of the belt is up where the flat part should be on one pulley, and on the other 2 its sitting almost correctly. What am I doing wrong?!?!? I can not stand the thought of messing around with this alternator anymore! Ok, here's the other weird thing. Right now whenever I push the clutch in (if the key is on off, start, acc or even OUT OF THE IGNITION!) the engine starts to slowly turn as if it's trying to start. What the heck is this all about?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id sure like to know too! It doesnt start of course because of the low battery power, but it still does this. My one and only thoery is that the battery died in the start position so the starter solenoid is stuck in the ON position so whenever I push the clutch in, it triggers the saftey switch (so the car cant start unless the clutch is pushed in) and the starter tries to turn. The most concerning thing to me, though, is the damn alternator belts! I cant drive without one, because I have no power or cooling.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I've got the 1.9 so I really can't help you too much with your alternator problem as the 1.9's use a serpentine system. Perhaps one of your pulleys is out of alignment with the others.

On the clutch issue I can help you with. It's your iginition switch. I had a similar problem once. Went to get in my car one winter moring to go to school, but the car wouldn't start. So I pull the key from the ignition and look under the hood and the car, under it's own power is starting like normal-full tilt. It kept going until I could disconnect the battery, that took a while as it was about -25 degrees celcius out! Turned out that some frost had gotten in the switch and grounded things out. When I reconnected the battery it wouldn't start at all. While looking at the schematics to help diagnose this problem, I noticed that for a manual car the CSS-Clutch Safty Swith passes through the ignition circuit. The CSS only works when the pedal is depressed. To me I would be willing to guess that your ignition switch is worn out. That would definately explain the poor engine performance and the no start situation. All these circuits pass through this switch. They're 120 $CDN from the dealer, but are half the cost at other parts stores.

Hope that helps :D

Matt 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts