FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my new supension "monroe sensa-trac" I noticed that my front is kinda sloppy because i didn't change the front springs. Someone at the garage told me it was because i didn't have the good match suspension + springs and i would cause my front suspension to not be stiff enough.

I would need for someone to find me the real springs "part number" to go with my front shocks "monroe sensa-trac" because they didn't have it a the garage it was a special order and i wasn't sure witch one i needed.

Could you give me a site and part number where I could get these shipped I will try to install them myself. "is it any hard?"

Any comments?

edit: I have a 91 gt

thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
When you say sloppy.. what do you mean? Is it big motions (swaying) or lots of little motions (bouncing).. or what? Does it ride like stock, or worse than stock, or just not as good as you'd hoped?

In other words.. unless your front springs are broken.. you shouldn't have any trouble w/ the setup you have.. unless the shocks are bad.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is still the original springs with the new monroe sensa-trac suspension. Yes they are bouncy it just isn't stiff enough, the back is ok because is changed the springs too...

I was told you need to have "monroe springs + monroe shocks" to get a good ride because they are a match for the suspension...

Am i making sense?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
the problem isn't your springs, it's the whole setup. Monroe shocks are designed to put on buicks to make fat old people feel comfortable and provide absolutely no handling characteristic and no road feel.

I'd hate to say it, but the reason why it feels so sloppy is because it's a piece of **** monroe clunker. Invest in something nice for suspension and upgrade your swaybar, links, and strut brace and you'll be set in the front end.

And I highly recommend doing your own work. Highly.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
I have to agree with Siragan. The Monroe Sensa-Tracs were a mistake. I think the general consensus here is to use Tocki's or KYG's. (spelling?). Actually even regular Monroes (non-SensaTracs) or Gabriel shocks with the poly washers would probably give you a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah, springs, of all makes, are supposed to be bouncy. That's the idea, they absorb energy and then return it with little loss. The stiffer they are, the more bounce. The shocks are supposed to absorb all the energy, so if the car is bouncing or even swaying, it's because the shocks can't tame the springs. This is why, when upgrading to stiffer springs, you cannot use stock shocks. Stock shocks can't tame stiff springs. If you're using stock springs, the shocks to use would be stock strength up to 30% stiffer (like the KYB GR2).

Siragan is right.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok ok, i know my monroe are a piece of shit but im going to try to fix my probleme here. I said my front was really sloppy. My back is ok because I put the matching springs that went with the suspension but not on the front.
So even if I have a piece of shit setup I will try to fix it and change the springs in the front to see what happens.

Here are the parts and part numbers:

. Sensa-trac struts 71879
. Strut-mate boot kits 63619
. Strut-mate bearing plate 902936

Now, will i only need to get the struts or when you change the struts you have to change something else too? Also, any of you know a site where i could order this?

Thank you for your comments...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Um, from what you said, you still have the monroe spec struts and springs. The struts and springs are like bread and butter. You can't really have one without the other because it's a damped oscillatory system and to work correctly it needs to work like a system, where that system is only as good as the weakest of its parts.

With that said, you may want to consider selling the setup you have and getting some KYB struts and different springs...

You can't really just say, oh I'll get some high end KYB struts and then keep the monroe springs, because then you will have an overdamped ride, and likewise if you keep the monroe struts and then throw on some eibach springs, then you'll have an underdamped system where you will oscillate excessively when you encounter a bump.

If it feels mushy, body roll is excessive, understeer on long hard corners, etc, then those are characteristics of front suspension that just isn't up to par.

um... I know it sucks, but you may just want to ditch what you have and try something else. Or the smart thing to do would be to buy strut braces and such and try to improve what you have, because with either a high end or a low end system, strut braces, etc are a good thing to have and something that doesn't need to be replaced with the shocks themselves.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not have the monroe struts and srpings, i have the original "that came with the car" that is why i would like to buy the matching springs to go with the suspensions...

Can someone just give me a link where I can buy them and stop telling me to sell my setup... from what i understand i will have to buy struts and springs?

Thanks siragan :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
FourDiceS04 said:
Ever since I got my new supension "monroe sensa-trac" I noticed that my front is kinda sloppy because i didn't change the front springs.
FourDiceS04 said:
I do not have the monroe struts and srpings, i have the original "that came with the car" that is why i would like to buy the matching springs to go with the suspensions...
*is confused*

So what you're saying is that you replaced the rear struts (shocks and springs) only.. and have not put anything new on the front?

From your first post it sounded like you replaced the shocks front and year and only replaced the rear springs.

Sorry then, for the weird discussion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replace everything on my rear...

In the front i only changed the shocks.

The guy at the garage told me my front was all sloppy because I did not have the good springs for the front chocks...

Now, I want to order the front springs, can anyone help me with this?

Hope you understand what im trying to say

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, just got back from the garage. First of all it wasn't my springs my 2 front shocks even if they are less than 4 months old they are both broken, they do not leak but they just don't work anymore.

Oh and the boot was broken so that says alot about the suspension.

im getting this fix under guarantee this week.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yay! That sure is what you were describing.. broken struts. Stiffer front springs would have only made it worse.

Glad you're getting this sorted out.. and I hope your new ones won't fail on you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts