FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i wanna get rid of my airbox and put in a cone filter on my 91 GT. i was wondering how easy it is(in other words how badly i could possibly screw it up and if i should try it myself) and if anyone could tell me how to go about doing so. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
(Notice, I cut and pasted most of this from another post I did because I was too lazy to type it all out again.)
Just this weekend I put on the K&N Filtercharger on my 93 EGT and I was instantly impressed and quickly pleased. It sounded better, It looked better, and (thankfully) I did notice smoother throttle reponse and quicker acceleration. I bought it on line and paid $184 after it was all said and done. (For most of it that is not cheap, but I had saved a little and done some extra work to get it, so I had the money.) I think that anyone looking to improve their car needs to really consider doing a good, free flowing intake. I am not an idiot but I am also by no means a mechanic; it took me about 2 hours to dismantle the old airbox and add the new intake. It was pretty easy (except for one stupid part where my car was being stubborn.....please, don't ask) and the K&N that I bought included instructions and all the hardware....and two cool stickers that I put on my rear side windows. If you are going to do it, I recommend buying a kit that is made for the 2nd Gen EGT's. It will have all the stuff you need. It isn't as easy as simply removing the airbox because you have to mate the Mass Air Valve and the Filter in some way, plus you will need to support it so that it isn't just hanging there loose. However, if and when you do it, it will definitely worth it. Good luck.....and have some fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't put a new intake in, you can install a cone type filter with an adapter. At this point that's what I did. It is better than the stock box but doesn't cost what a whole intake system would. I will be getting an intake after I do a few other things, (ie: exhaust sysem for sure) It's also a 91GT you can see mine here :
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid2183143

·
Registered
402 Posts
I rememberd your question today as i was looking at my engine. I suppose all you have to do is remove the four bolts there on the end of it that attaches the filter to it. I'll take a better look at it tonight for you.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i found the instructions online for the K&N FIPK kits and you pay like 178$ for a couple brackets and a plastic adapter. there has to be a cheaper way to do it. i'm looking into an exhaust too, asking around at some shops to see how much they can do one for, nothing expensive or loud, just a higher flow system. appreciate the help

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I tryed something new lastnight. Unhooked my mass air flower sensor and unhooked 2 more sensors and the car didnt die or even act like it was going to die.... I think my car is special. especially since Ive only unhooked my o2 sensor and hacked my air box. Ive jumped to 114hp with 110fpt... I got dyno pic to back it up

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
jd91GT said:
well i found the instructions online for the K&N FIPK kits and you pay like 178$ for a couple brackets and a plastic adapter. there has to be a cheaper way to do it.
How to do this the cheap way.

Go to junkyard.
Find old Ford/Mazda with the same type of air meter.
Unscrew the round plate that attached where your airbox does.
Buy piece from junkyard. (Mine was $1)
Attach round piece to your air meter.
Put short round hose between this outlet and the airfilter. (These are usually found attached to the piece in the junkyard, and can also be had for a dollar or two)
At this point, you're done.

I found mine on an '87 Tbird 4cyl. These can also be found on pretty much any 4cyl mustang from '83ish to '87ish (i'm not a mustang guy).

I tryed something new lastnight. Unhooked my mass air flower sensor and unhooked 2 more sensors and the car didnt die or even act like it was going to die.... I think my car is special. especially since Ive only unhooked my o2 sensor and hacked my air box. Ive jumped to 114hp with 110fpt... I got dyno pic to back it up
So you gained power by unhooking your O2 sensor? This can't be safe.. but hell, whatever works. :)
Do you have an EGT? If so, are you calling your vein air meter a MAF sensor, or have you converted your VAM to a MAF? If so, how? I'd like to give it a shot.
Did you try to drive it while your air meter was unhooked or just unplug it and let it idle?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would say most likely he drives an SPI because the GT if he had a GT he wouldn't have 'jumped' to 114 horsepower; that'd be a horsepower decrease. And I doubt it's a 2nd gen LX because well... that's a huge hp increase just for getting rid of your sensors and... How is your car running without sensors?!?! I took mine off and it wouldn't even stay running for more than like 30 seconds!

PS Tito: Will that 1$ conversion work on a 3gen? if so I'd like to try it but it sure looks to me like it screws into something and my MAF has a clip on the end where it clips to the airbox. It's like 6-8 inches around and plastic covered. This is my MAF sensor right? There's 2 wires running through it. There's another sensor farther back that only has 1 wire. Is that o2 or something? Do I know what I'm talking about at all or am I completely confused?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
coyote-x said:
I would say most likely he drives an SPI because the GT if he had a GT he wouldn't have 'jumped' to 114 horsepower; that'd be a horsepower decrease. And I doubt it's a 2nd gen LX because well... that's a huge hp increase just for getting rid of your sensors and... How is your car running without sensors?!?! I took mine off and it wouldn't even stay running for more than like 30 seconds!
Nope. he's got a 2nd gen LX. and I've seen his dyno sheet. 114 hp, 110 lb ft torque

He's done more than take off some sensors, he's got a chip, a racing cam for the 1.9L and modded intake. He's making 4 less pft than the GTs produce. but he's still got a ways to go on the hp. That's gotta be a nice LX sleeper though...pullin late 8s or early 9 second 0-60s now! :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
coyote-x said:

PS Tito: Will that 1$ conversion work on a 3gen? if so I'd like to try it but it sure looks to me like it screws into something and my MAF has a clip on the end where it clips to the airbox. It's like 6-8 inches around and plastic covered. This is my MAF sensor right? There's 2 wires running through it. There's another sensor farther back that only has 1 wire. Is that o2 or something? Do I know what I'm talking about at all or am I completely confused?
Actually, if he's talking about HP at the wheels, that's an increase for a stock GT, which a 5-speed would put down around 105 to the ground.

As for the conversion on the 3rd gen, i would imagine you have MAF which is different so i don't know. I was referring to the "flap door" type sensor like on my '92 GT which is known as a vein air meter. These need a round "adapter" to hook a hose to the intake end of the meter box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts